Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Dagwood_55

Atkins, Ar

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When ordering a new Popup TC (Bundutec), you get a choice of either a rear mounted, small window unit or a roof AC. Whats the pros and cons of each?? Or which make more sense in a popup?? The window unit is about half price of the roof AC.

Thanks,

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know what I’d get, but I know the small window ACs are easy to start with small generators. I imagine it would be easy to take out a window AC for Winter which I feel would be a plus. Also, I assume you could have a fantastic fan if you didn’t have the AC on top which would be a plus.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a matter of how warm it gets outside, the humidity, the insulation of the RV, the average number of people in the RV and will the proposed unit provide sufficient cooling (BTUs). Arkansas in the summer? Get the one with more BTUs.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is a factory option for mounting a window unit then that is huge. Get the window unit.
Window units are $99 anywhere in the country, more if you want to spend more.
Less weight on the roof, better mpg, much easier to replace yourself if needed (MUCH EASIER).

You can get either in a 5,200btu version or as big as u want, but the roof AC will cost 5 times or 8 times, or even 12 times as much if buying alone. I found a 5200btu roof unit for $500 refurbished and that was a grand deal.
Either comes in larger BTUs also, so no issues there.
The small, as stated, do work on the small generators of 2000 watt size if that's your thing

I had one camper for one year with a rear mounted window unit. It was floor level, pulling cold air off the floor and blowing it near the floor, but it did work great and kept it cool. It was a household window unit, not made for RV though. It was designed to collect the condensation in a pan then flick that water back on the coils to help cool it. This is not good for an RV that is not always level. Water could spill inside. Also the unit had vents on top, so rain water or leaves could get into it and possibly leak into the camper as mine did when the camper was slanted downhill in the rain.
I ended up punching holes in the water pan so no water collected.
The camper frame at the AC had some rot, but dried out and never got bad enough to replace before I sold it.
Hopefully the factory option takes all this into consideration (though mine was factory and did not).

They can both be noisy, but liveable, but the unit on the roof will be heard everywhere inside. The window unit, being lower, might be blocked by something so the sound would be blocked also, for some...

On my other RVs I thought and thought how to make a window unit work, but never came up with a good solution that was not a huge project to execute

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for the thru wall. Can’t beat simple.

Roof air could cost $700 to replace.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Window unit. 5500 BTU is plenty for our little campers. They're lighter, replacements are cheap and they're much easier to run with a small generator.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my experience roof airs rarely fail. I still have a 1987 Vacationeer with its original roof air that works great. I’ve had others that old or older that still worked great.
The roof is the best place for an AC. That’s why they’re almost always up there.
Heat rises.
If you go anywhere that gets really hot, you’ll wish you had the roof unit.
As far as replacement goes, roof air for the win again. They’re all designed to fit a standard 14”x14” hatch. Window units are all different sizes. Good luck matching it if you have to replace it.
Everyone is talking about what’s cheapest. But roof air is what’s best.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Notakwanon

mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had the roof of my Outfitter replaced I chose to NOT have a roof AC put on. It would have added 100 lbs to the lift, and if you ever haul anything on the roof, the roof AC is constantly in the way and a tripping hazard.

2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5

dalej

texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/20 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for window ac, from experience.

* This post was edited 03/27/20 05:35am by dalej *

2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another plus for a window air is that you may be able to park so that it won't be in the direct sun. That also helps alot!
Brian

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Small Window AC vs Roof Top Air
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.