Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Dometic AC unit
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dometic AC unit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
brnthumbinfl

Seminole, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased our 2019 Mesa Ridge 21RBS TT from Lazy Days in Tampa, January 2019. We've had it in twice for warranty repairs. Both times, we reported the AC unit would hover when it reached the set temperature. Particular at night, the unit will cycle on for as little as 10 seconds then cycle off for 10 seconds. Back and forth as many as a dozen times. The unit is not terrible quiet, so this gets irritating when you're trying to sleep. Plus it can't be good for the unit.

Lazy Days checked it twice without finding anything wrong. Of course it was winter when the unit isn't really working. They tried insulating the thermostat, then I forced them to replace the thermostat. Neither action corrected the problem. Currently I am beginning to think it may be the unit itself. It seems when it goes into hover mode, I'm not sure its really cooling as the air seems just room temp.

Any ideas?

Brnthumb

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May well be normal. AC fan runs on high until it reaches set temp. Unit shuts off and comes back on with fan speed on low. Cycle can continue several times especially when temps are high

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try using a different ceiling assembly, which has the controls in it, and see if that correct issues.
An RV seller is ill-equipped to do any meaningful repairs and unlikely they have the ability to delve into refrigerant levels or pressures.
If you could check the coolant levels that would be great. I am not sure these roof ACs allow you to check as you would on a car or a house.

All AC units are basically the same, so a guy that can work on an AC will be able to work on any AC.

Is your compressor actually running, or just trying to start and giving up? You will hear the strain as the compressor tries to kick on, and then it smooths out a little when running. A 10 second cycle will not work on any unit. After the compressor kicks off the system needs time for the pressures to euqualize inside the pipes. The high pressure side will have too-high of pressure for the compressor to overcome and start. This is why you not supposed to turn temp up (making compressor turn off) then turn temp back down seconds later. Compressor will struggle to start, it might start, but that struggle is bad for the compressor.
On that note, there could also be an issue with your 2-stage starting capacitor. losse or coroded wires, bad capacitor...lots of youtube videos on this.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brnthumbinfl wrote:

We purchased our 2019 Mesa Ridge 21RBS TT from Lazy Days in Tampa, January 2019. We've had it in twice for warranty repairs. Both times, we reported the AC unit would hover when it reached the set temperature. Particular at night, the unit will cycle on for as little as 10 seconds then cycle off for 10 seconds. Back and forth as many as a dozen times. The unit is not terrible quiet, so this gets irritating when you're trying to sleep. Plus it can't be good for the unit.

Lazy Days checked it twice without finding anything wrong. Of course it was winter when the unit isn't really working. They tried insulating the thermostat, then I forced them to replace the thermostat. Neither action corrected the problem. Currently I am beginning to think it may be the unit itself. It seems when it goes into hover mode, I'm not sure its really cooling as the air seems just room temp.

Any ideas?

Brnthumb

Are you sure it is doing it a "dozen times"
If you read your manual, you'll find out that it is normal and is adjusting itself to a lower speed once it reaches the set point.

Guy

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brnthumbinfl wrote:

...the unit will cycle on for as little as 10 seconds then cycle off for 10 seconds. Back and forth...

Perhaps it is the differential temperature setting - see LINK

There is something special about camping in an RV.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where is the thermocouple? Pull the panel off, and make sure the thermocouple is in the air flow. I bent mine about 30 deg forward into the airflow and it works perfectly now.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine has done similar when fan is on auto. Set to either low or high.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoping someone comes on with the real answer. Mine does the same thing when the temperature outside is only a few degrees warmer than inside. I suspect it is some kind of "feature" that is supposed to keep the AC from freezing up or hurting itself. Any technicians out there?

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2. Now that you have tried all the above suggestions, just let us know you have, and then we will offer the real answer. There can be only one answer. No one has ever had an issue and solved it by other means.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

TomG2. Now that you have tried all the above suggestions, just let us know you have, and then we will offer the real answer. There can be only one answer. No one has everss had an issue and solved it by other means.

Thanks, but I am not the OP, just following. This is the third AC unit to do this for me, so I am curious. For now, I simply turn it off in the early morning hours. As far as trying all the suggestions, I will leave that to others. I did not even know that Air Conditioners had a "Thermocouple".

If you have the "Real" answer, many would be glad to hear it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dometic AC unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.