Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Which motorhome to buy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Which motorhome to buy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

then when you find it. hire a local rv tech, to inspect it before you sign any papers yes the tech will charge a nice fee but worth it. he,ll give you a detailed report of the unit.

mudhound

BEAN STATION, TN USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

following. We just sold our Class C Sunseeker. Loved it. Had it for 13 years

">

God Bless

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look for quality, not eye candy. for example, sit in that J couch at the "J" end. can't get comfy. but they look Plush. also, do you really want/need a fake fireplace that is no better than a $18.00 ceramic cube? full body paint might impress the neighbors, at a cost of $5000?
Bumpy

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

In new RVs I would consider winnebago, tiffin, newmar.
same for used ones.

bumpy

X2

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one can tell you what you should buy. It's a bit like asking what car you should buy. Way too many variables and it's something you'll need to figure out for yourself. The first place to start is floor plan. Find one - or a few, that you like and think fits your needs. Then find MH's that have that floor plan. But even that depends on what your needs/wants are. Do you want something smaller to get into state and national parks, something bigger for longer camp times, solar, do you cook a lot, outdoor kitchen, raised rail, more storage, what size tanks, residential refer, washing machine, etc etc. The list goes on and on. As far as brands, while it's true that some brands have better quality than others coming off the line, in the used market it may come down to how well it was taken care of. A high end MH with a lot of miles not well taken care is no bargain. Unless you are handy and want a great deal on a fixer-upper. You can find deals in used MH and avoid a lot of depreciation but finding what you want in the condition you want for the price you want is the hunting part. Start by going to shows and large dealer lots and tour a lot of MH's. Once you start narrowing down what you think you need, spend a LOT of time in them, visualize living day to day, driving, what's it like with the slides in, etc.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

george 37

tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you to all who have commented on my post. We have a floor plan we like but it was a Thor ACE and I'm concerned about the quality and the fact that it only has one a/c unit. We are in central Florida and it was difficult to get it to cool down and its only April.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

george 37 wrote:

Thank you to all who have commented on my post. We have a floor plan we like but it was a Thor ACE and I'm concerned about the quality and the fact that it only has one a/c unit. We are in central Florida and it was difficult to get it to cool down and its only April.

The newer models have 50 amp with 2 ac's . I am not sure what year they started adding the second AC.

thelazyl

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what I would consider:
1. Floor plan (in my case happy wife happy life).
2. Condition. Hire an RV inspector
3. Personally I'd pick used and well-maintained over new
4. Your price range can get you into some decent Diesel Pusher units which generally are nicely finished. A pusher has the benefit of a much quieter and comfortable ride.

Mommalu

Mpls. MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of things to consider. Gas or Diesel. Gas is cheaper to purchase, cheaper to maintain. However they don't handle as well, with the v10 they tend to scream going up hills as they drop to a lower gear with higher rpms. They are limited to size and carrying capacity.
Each have a place. First you need to figure out how you will use it, whats important.
We just traded in our gas A jayco today for an entry level older diesel pusher. However as much as we would love a Tiffin, Newmar, or Winnebago we only use it 45 or so days a year. We use it week ends only to state parks in a state where there are no mountains. We are not interested in an expensive depreciating asset sitting 3/4 of the time.
Also I drive buses and have noticed that the diesels from 2008 to about 2013 in our fleet have a ton of problems with head gaskets, injectors, DEF sensors pumps, etc. Granted these buses idle a lot, are driven with lots of stop and go and short trips. But I don't have a personal mechanic. So for us we opted for an older under powered (trusty Cummins 5.9) diesel pusher with upgraded interior.
So figure out your price point, how you will use it and whats important to you. Enjoy the hunt.

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For overall quality, I'd start with Newmar or Tiffin with Winnebago as a third option. With Winnebago, just pay attention to which product line it is as I think their lower end models are not even comparable to any gas Tiffin or Newmar. With your budget, I'd say that you may have to buy something a little older than a 2017....and if you find the right unit, save some money. We bought our 2012 Bay Star a couple of years ago and it was in superb condition, but it did need new tires.

Since you are considering a gas motor home, research the many modifications that are popular for improving the handling of the motor home and know what modifications have been made on any unit you are considering. There is a ton of information about popular mods such as the cheap handling fix (CHF), rear track bars, front stabilizers, Sumo springs. My Bay Star already had better rear tracking bar installed along with Sumo springs (front & rear). I found that getting the front end aligned, and adjusting tire pressure based on axle weight improved the handling. I had a Roadmaster stabilizer installed on the front, and that helped plus provides a little "insurance" in the event of a front tire blowout.

Good luck in your search! Take your time and find one that has good service records and will meet your needs.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Which motorhome to buy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.