Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds In Limbo As Coronavirus Upends Travel Plans
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Snowbirds In Limbo As Coronavirus Upends Travel Plans

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to a family medical emergency I had to return to Washington state from Arizona.
The fastest route due to potential weather problems was through California up Hwy 99 and 5
The only over-night stops I made were highway rest stops.
Lots of truckers and a few RV's in them - but all had space.

Noise at night was bad. Truckers start engines during the night. Some leave, some arrive.
500 miles a day for a 1510 mile drive - took three days.

2014 Lance 1181
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

bjbear

Cold Lake, AB, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no way that a Canadian Citizen is going to be denied entry into Canada. Period. The border is Federal jurisdiction and not Provincial. Even Quebec our self centered sibling cannot restrict the federal border!!

That said, we headed home from Gold Canyon, AZ to Cold Lake, Alberta as soon as it became apparent that both Canada and the USA were going to follow Italy and Spain with respect to infection rates. Many of our other Canadian friends were told by their out of country insurance that they would not be covered after Mar 23rd. Fortunately, my insurance told me that they would continue to cover us, but that was not my main concern.

My concern was with the availability of medical equipment in Canada and the US as the emergency progresses.

In the event that myself or my wife contracted pneumonia from Covid-19 or any other reason, I did not want to take up a respirator in the US. Can you imagine the scenario where there are 2 people who need respirators, but there is only one remaining and available. Would it be fair for me as a Canadian to have it and deny the US citizen in the bed next to me? How would his/her family react if a respirator was given to a Foreign national who has a home outside the US and his family member was allowed to die?

So my message to all Canadians, is to head back to your home where your tax dollars support the medical system. Leave US medical services to US citizens unless absolutely necessary.

When this is all over, we can all get back together a celebrate!!

2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

We and others we know are out here full-time and there is no shortage of open parks to stay at. Most state parks, corp of engineer and other public parks are closed, but most private parks are open. Most will want you to reserve and pay online or by phone. There is not the big problem many seem to think there is. Gas stations are open. Rest areas are open and if they weren't, there are still big parking lots at various places of closed businesses to stop. Walmart and grocery stores are open etc.

I'm also in Texas. I just put money down for 30 days at an RV park in Georgetown. While what you say is basically true, this private park and the one I was at last night are almost full. They had about 2 monthly spots available at each and a few daily spots. If Texas closes its state parks like the Chicken Little's in the media want these private parks will be jammed. The state parks that are open (about 20% are closed) were also pretty full in March.

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bjbear wrote:

There is no way that a Canadian Citizen is going to be denied entry into Canada. Period. The border is Federal jurisdiction and not Provincial. Even Quebec our self centered sibling cannot restrict the federal border!!

Agreed. The Border Agent did seem relieved to hear that we had a destination planned, and wouldn't be sitting in front of her any longer than necessary. I would assume they have a procedure to repatriate everyone, even the ones with no specific quarantine location, but we didn't ask. Even a Corrections Canada cell is inside the border.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bjbear wrote:

That said, we headed home from Gold Canyon, AZ to Cold Lake, Alberta as soon as it became apparent that both Canada and the USA were going to follow Italy and Spain with respect to infection rates. Many of our other Canadian friends were told by their out of country insurance that they would not be covered after Mar 23rd. Fortunately, my insurance told me that they would continue to cover us, but that was not my main concern.

My concern was with the availability of medical equipment in Canada and the US as the emergency progresses.

In the event that myself or my wife contracted pneumonia from Covid-19 or any other reason, I did not want to take up a respirator in the US. Can you imagine the scenario where there are 2 people who need respirators, but there is only one remaining and available. Would it be fair for me as a Canadian to have it and deny the US citizen in the bed next to me? How would his/her family react if a respirator was given to a Foreign national who has a home outside the US and his family member was allowed to die?

So my message to all Canadians, is to head back to your home where your tax dollars support the medical system. Leave US medical services to US citizens unless absolutely necessary.

When this is all over, we can all get back together a celebrate!!

If you both needed a ventilator at the same time, and their med insurance was in good standing and paying for it, you would be the one SOL. If you got there first, and your emergency medical coverage was willing to cover the costs, you'd get the ventilator. The US system is pay per use, you have the money, you get the treatment. Ours is single payer, get in line, wait.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve - I guess it depends on how popular of an area you are in. There are lots of parks in smaller out of the way places that are not in snowbird territory.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Snowbirds In Limbo As Coronavirus Upends Travel Plans
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.