Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Decisions have largely been made based on political WILL and the media has been doing everything possible to whip up hysteria and that drives the political will.
Why is it always the media's fault? If Fox news has the viewership they do, then there shouldn't be any hysteria as they're still talking about FISA warrants and bashing Biden.

Media and news are different things.

Presenting information in sensationalist manner is whipping up hysteria.

There are reports of 10% of people will die (the exact percentage is a moving target but the principal holds). Yet when you look at the numbers, it suggests nothing of the kind. The media is presenting numbers that most people don't understand:
- Deaths are pretty reliably counted. Infections measured only take into account those who get a bad case (starting to change as testing is ramping up).
- Deaths are counted as soon as they happen. Recoveries only show up after 2-3 weeks, so early on it makes the death rate look higher.

But the media lead with headlines of 10% will die. If you are lucky, they may mention it way down towards the end article but more often than not, they don't. Most of the general public don't grasp statistics and research methodologies, so they walk away thinking 10% will die.

Way back in highschool, took a journalism class:
- Headline should get the story across.
- First paragraph should highlight the who/what/where/when...in other words, should provide the conclusion...which is not that 10% will die.
- Then the body of the story digs into the details.

So yes, the media is whipping up hysteria in public opinion and politicians are animals that react to public opinion.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a much higher chance of dieing in an auto accident this year. So how many of you leave your car parked for months at a time?

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

You're saying that anything the media says is totally believed by everyone leading to hysteria. What hysteria are you seeing that I am not?

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

You're saying that anything the media says is totally believed by everyone leading to hysteria. What hysteria are you seeing that I am not?
No hysteria? Tell me why you can't buy a roll of toilet paper then.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

No hysteia? Tell me why you can't buy a roll of toilet paper then.
I don't recall any media outlet telling me to go out and buy a lot of toilet paper. I do recall them reporting that that's what people are doing.

Therefore that's the media's fault?

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No toilet paper = prime example of hysteria. (The hysteria a moment ago you said didn't exist)
You can figure out for yourself who or what is causing it. A lot of us already know.
(I thought you said bye to me yesterday?)

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

No toilet paper = prime example of hysteria. (The hysteria a moment ago you said didn't exist)
You can figure out for yourself who or what is causing it. A lot of us already know.
A lot of you are shooting the messenger and I know why. Perhaps you'd be happier watching Fox, who dismissed it from the get go.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

(I thought you said bye to me yesterday?)

I find the toilet paper issue very interesting.
The media nor the government instructed the pubic to buy TP. yet there was a huge run on TP.
The public hears/interprets what is said in their own individual way.

This thread shows some agree with the governments effort some believe its all overblown. Some listen and follow the orders some don't!
In the end its the public that's unpredictable.
Don't shoot the messenger. Ultimately each individual must decide how to interpret and react to the message.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

A lot of you are shooting the messenger. Perhaps you'd be happier watching Fox, who dismissed it from the get go.
Sort of reminds you of the MSM who called "He who must not be named" a racist for banning travel from China. Let that sink in for a minute as you're calling out Fox news for Fake News.
So would you like to continue this silly game?

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

So would you like to continue this silly game?
I don't understand why facts are silly, and you're changing the subject. Play it with Lantley before all this 'silly' gets deleted.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.