Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And hope the parks open.
Wprvo, where are you? I recall west Yellowstone?
I'm bidding a job in Kalispell right now. Hope we get it. Would not be torture to spend the next couple years in NW MT!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/20 11:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For Glacier National Park, hopefully some good news. My twin step-daughters are both working at Glacier at Lake McDonald Lodge this season, and both got an email today (04.03.20) telling them that all previous plans for opening are still under way and they should plan on arrival for the scheduled May opening. IIRC, they are supposed to be there in late April.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 12:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

Everything should open. We’re trading a few weeks of intense pain for years of economic depression worse than anything in our nation’s history.

I agree, too. If the worst case scenario passes in the US about 1 million people would die. About 3 million people die in the US every year. A lot of the people who will die from COVID-19 would've passed away this year any way. But if you crater the economy other people who would not have died will die this year. We're already seeing this. They are trading one group of lives for another group of lives. Most of this is just fearmongering from politicians who want to be in the national spotlight.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living in NY State and fairly close to NYC, I can tell you I have a different perspective than expressed by several on this thread. Infections and deaths and the huge costs are becoming evident. Even 50 miles from the City, my neighborhood is starting to look like a war zone. There is a huge "Mash" unit and testing facility that has already been erected in a large parking lot. Another mile away construction is underway to erect another unit. I think it will house something like a thousand hospital beds. People are hunkered down and still the infections are growing at a rapid rate. Everything is at a stand still and people are dying. Not just old people who would have died anyway. People of all ages are dying and many of those who recover talk about a near death experience. This is a big deal, not likely to end in a month or two.

In fact it is by no means clear how or when it will end. This is not China where the government has endless power. In the US we cannot even keep track of tens of millions of illegals who are also becoming infected and dying. Flattening the curve does not stop the infection. Flattening does not even keep the infections down to the level that our healthcare system can cope. Flattening certainly does not end the infections.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Living in NY State and fairly close to NYC, I can tell you I have a different perspective than expressed by several on this thread. Infections and deaths and the huge costs are becoming evident. Even 50 miles from the City, my neighborhood is starting to look like a war zone. There is a huge "Mash" unit and testing facility that has already been erected in a large parking lot. Another mile away construction is underway to erect another unit. I think it will house something like a thousand hospital beds. People are hunkered down and still the infections are growing at a rapid rate. Everything is at a stand still and people are dying. Not just old people who would have died anyway. People of all ages are dying and many of those who recover talk about a near death experience. This is a big deal, not likely to end in a month or two.

In fact it is by no means clear how or when it will end. This is not China where the government has endless power. In the US we cannot even keep track of tens of millions of illegals who are also becoming infected and dying. Flattening the curve does not stop the infection. Flattening does not even keep the infections down to the level that our healthcare system can cope. Flattening certainly does not end the infections.
NYC has the highest infection rate of anywhere in the world. Why do you think that is? Do you think cramming several million people into a few square miles has something to do with it. Or riding to work in subway cars packed tighter then sardines in a can? The rest of this country doesn't I've like NYC does. Basing what is going to happen in the rest of this country upon what is happening in NYC isn't realistic.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

Ductape wrote:

Everything should open. We’re trading a few weeks of intense pain for years of economic depression worse than anything in our nation’s history.

I agree, too. If the worst case scenario passes in the US about 1 million people would die. About 3 million people die in the US every year. A lot of the people who will die from COVID-19 would've passed away this year any way. But if you crater the economy other people who would not have died will die this year. We're already seeing this. They are trading one group of lives for another group of lives. Most of this is just fearmongering from politicians who want to be in the national spotlight.

I wholly agree. What good is it to be alive if there are no jobs, you lost your house and car and are at the end of your rope! But hey we saved lives so you should be happy. If this shelter at home continues longer than the end of the month hen you will start seeing job losses in record numbers, foreclosures, peoplelosing cars and family and then suicides. If you don't think it will happen then you are in denial as much as you say people are in denial about COVID-19!

It needs to be a fine balance of health and economy. I know it's hard to think of it that way, but that is the reality.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

..... Basing what is going to happen in the rest of this country upon what is happening in NYC isn't realistic.

The predictions are that this virus is spreading and will continue to spread like a wildfire in a wind storm. It can spread rapidly from people who show no symptoms and never know they are carriers. A 6 foot social isolation zone is a Minimum and no guarantee of safety. Most of us are in strict isolation, now wearing masks and not handling groceries or even US mail. I try to keep a 20-30 foot distance from others. What do you think would happen with millions of visitors in visitor centers, using campground bathrooms, touching gas pump handles, or even walking nearby others on trails? A you going to hand your credit card or pass to a entrance station ranger and then just put it in your pocket? Some people have no idea what is happening and what is headed their way.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

Ductape wrote:

Not sure about that logic.
I think saving millions of peoples lives (by keeping things shut down for now) is more important than the economy at the moment.

Millions...is melodrama based on what we currently know.

This is part of the problem. Decisions have largely been made based on political WILL and the media has been doing everything possible to whip up hysteria and that drives the political will.

I expect within the next 2-4 weeks, the massive economic impact will cause people to reassess the media hysteria and the political equation will change to taking a more measured approach where we keep effective actions in place but otherwise reopen the economy.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Decisions have largely been made based on political WILL and the media has been doing everything possible to whip up hysteria and that drives the political will.
Why is it always the media's fault? If Fox news has the viewership they do, then there shouldn't be any hysteria as they're still talking about FISA warrants and bashing Biden.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Decisions have largely been made based on political WILL and the media has been doing everything possible to whip up hysteria and that drives the political will.
Why is it always the media's fault?
Because their the ones creating and perpetuating the hysteria?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.