Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

Put 100 people out of work and how many premature deaths result from that?
I hear that, but these are tough times requiring even tougher decisions. I know I wouldn't want to be making them.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Ductape wrote:

I hear that, but these are tough times requiring even tougher decisions. I know I wouldn't want to be making them.

Amazing how we think we are going to die if the rat race stops for a few months.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the governors get their projections from a website that was set up for the purpose. This website uses numbers from Imperial in the UK. Neil Ferguson's Imperial projections (read "projections" as: "a guesstimate") have been way, way too high so far in nearly every country. Oxford has done their own projections, and the model they use has proven more accurate. Oxford's numbers indicate much lower total deaths. UK death estimates have gone from 500,000 to only about 20,000, and the UK government officially no longer considers Covid19 to be in the same danger category as SARS or MERS. But our governors continue to be fed worst-case numbers from Imperial. (I think our President is skeptical of those projections, but he has to be cautious.)

Stanford has a nobel laureate recipient doing research on this virus, and his numbers show that the US is likely to peak much lower and much earlier than the Imperial projections. The LA Times and OANN both carried this story. We are likely to peak sometime this month.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Ductape wrote:

Amazing how we think we are going to die if the rat race stops for a few months.
It will be interesting to see what life is like this summer and next fall. Produce farmers in places like Georgia are having trouble getting anyone to pick their berries and vegetables that are ripening in the next month or so. This was on national tv news the last couple of days. If the US ends up having trouble producing enough food, and since we know that the virus is impacting practically all countries so farmers everywhere may have the same problem, what will the food supply be like 6 months from now? How many people might die due to malnutrition as a result of a prolonged shutdown? This is why we need to end the isolation as soon as we are able; it is serving a purpose for now, but extending it much longer could be worse than the virus.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion: even if we get the medical side of all of this solved by mid-summer (miraculously, vaccines available or a cure-all drug?) - the economic side will be a killer. People who have been laid off/lost their jobs/ or simply weathered a heckuva storm for 6 months, aren't going to be in the mood to go out on the road and spend a bunch of money. Ed and I were just alking about this - he watches all the talking heads on the financial channels, and they see us recovered, economically, by the end of 2021. Ouch.

nancyjerry

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thom02099 wrote:

For Glacier National Park, hopefully some good news. My twin step-daughters are both working at Glacier at Lake McDonald Lodge this season, and both got an email today (04.03.20) telling them that all previous plans for opening are still under way and they should plan on arrival for the scheduled May opening. IIRC, they are supposed to be there in late April.

Great news!
Are they working for a big company like Delaware North, Zanterra etc or ? Are they higher up the chain and regarded as necessary?
Curious what positions a are still being told to come!
Thanks.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nancyjerry wrote:

Thom02099 wrote:

For Glacier National Park, hopefully some good news. My twin step-daughters are both working at Glacier at Lake McDonald Lodge this season, and both got an email today (04.03.20) telling them that all previous plans for opening are still under way and they should plan on arrival for the scheduled May opening. IIRC, they are supposed to be there in late April.

Great news!
Are they working for a big company like Delaware North, Zanterra etc or ? Are they higher up the chain and regarded as necessary?
Curious what positions a are still being told to come!
Thanks.
I assume the park concessionaires are doing things similar to what we are trying to do, which is wait until the last minute to make any huge decisions. From a hard nosed practical point of view the concessionaires are better served to string seasonal employees along for as long as possible. It is far easier to let 1000 people go than it is to hire 1000 at a moment's notice. And those big concessionaires have a pretty strong track record of not being employee oriented. Xanterra has long been considered among the worst companies to work for in the US (sources: Reddit, Glassdoor). I would advise your step daughters to not spend their anticipated paychecks in advance.

nancyjerry

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point and figured along same lines. Worked under Grand Teton Lodge Co last year at Colter Bay. They are under the parent company Vail Resorts which closed all the ski resorts and had employees to deal with in town and in housing.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

My opinion: even if we get the medical side of all of this solved by mid-summer (miraculously, vaccines available or a cure-all drug?) - the economic side will be a killer. People who have been laid off/lost their jobs/ or simply weathered a heckuva storm for 6 months, aren't going to be in the mood to go out on the road and spend a bunch of money. Ed and I were just alking about this - he watches all the talking heads on the financial channels, and they see us recovered, economically, by the end of 2021. Ouch.
That would be great - I actually thought much longer.

But then, my biggest concern is with who's going to go out of business. I'm wondering if Walmart and Amazon will be the only retailers left alive.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

We are actively planning for a business Armageddon in Montana. There is a serious potential that Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks will not open this year.

I've been concerned about you, and folks like you. Very happy to hear that you have the resources to survive a no-income year.

I doubt many others will survive.

I was once employed in a seasonal business - short track auto racing - and the delay of the season has already forced a couple families to plan to sell their facilities. They do not have the resources to survive losing 1/6th to 1/3rd of the potential income for a year.

Best of luck.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.