Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Ductape wrote:

Put 100 people out of work and how many premature deaths result from that?
I hear that, but these are tough times requiring even tougher decisions. I know I wouldn't want to be making them.

Amazing how we think we are going to die if the rat race stops for a few months.

Easy to say for most of us, who are often retired and able to afford luxuries like an RV.

I guess you don’t know many of those average citizens that live paycheck to paycheck and don’t have the financial resources to even pay for a minor emergency of a few hundred dollars.

It’s a mistake to believe unemployment is hurting the wealthy. It’s the poor and the middle class with a big mortgage that will feel the pain.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Expect everything to be closed.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say skip the season and leave the national parks closed. This is non essential IMO. If you are bored this Summer it would be a good time to volunteer your assistance as needed in your local community.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing how we think we are going to die if the rat race stops for a few months.

Actually the stress of not being able to pay the bills, feed the family, etc., can be deadly. Consider this as well: "After age 65, the early retirees have a 37% higher risk of death than counterparts that retired at 65. That's not all. People who retire at 55 are 89% more likely to die in the 10 years after retirement than those who retire at 65." (multiple sources) Take someone out of the rat race too early and you can decrease their life expectancy. Those of you who think shutting down for the rest of the year is acceptable need to think about long-term and not just short-term effects. An article title from the Wall Street Journal: "Rethinking the Coronavirus Shutdown: No society can safeguard public health for long at the cost of its economic health." Just something to ponder.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

Lantley wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Ductape wrote:

Put 100 people out of work and how many premature deaths result from that?
I hear that, but these are tough times requiring even tougher decisions. I know I wouldn't want to be making them.

Easy to say for most of us, who are often retired and able to afford luxuries like an RV.

I guess you don’t know many of those average citizens that live paycheck to paycheck and don’t have the financial resources to even pay for a minor emergency of a few hundred dollars.

It’s a mistake to believe unemployment is hurting the wealthy. It’s the poor and the middle class with a big mortgage that will feel the pain.

Yes shutting down the rat race will cause hardships, but ultimately it will save lives as well. Yes a person living paycheck to paycheck will suffer more. However the shut down is about protecting a persons health not their finances. What's the point of having a A-1 portfolio if it means your entire family workplace or community has the virus?
Consider a person living paycheck to paycheck, a middle class wage earner or a millionaire none of them want to be on a ventilator
struggling to breathe. Or worse case, none of them want to be wishing they had a ventilator available to keep them alive.
Taking preventative measures to save lives is what the shut down is all about.
You can recover from financial disaster, many have done it. Recession or depression, Humanity has endured collapses of all kinds. In time things have always returned to normal. But you don't recover from death.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I say skip the season and leave the national parks closed. This is non essential IMO. If you are bored this Summer it would be a good time to volunteer your assistance as needed in your local community.
Easy to say, no very easy to do. My losses will be in the multiple hundreds of thousands. If you add in the probable loss of equity due to the fact that future buyers must take into account it is possible to lose an entire year of business my true loss will likely be in the millions. Basically my life's work is hanging in the balance. Forgive me if the though of having a "free summer to volunteer" doesn't make everything rosy.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tough spot to be in for everyone.

My sister who lived in Boston for many years is snow birding in Florida right now. She has,,had, a friend from Boston that has died from this thing. He was healthy and in his late 50's. He contacted it at some sort of international convention held in Boston that he went to as part of his business.

Hopefully, this all blows over by the 4th of July and then everyone can argue about how it really wasn't all that bad. But, if nothing is done and then people then die in large numbers people will still argue over how nothing was done.

This is the first time in my 56 years that I feel bad for the politicians. Dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.

There are 11800 people in my county. I figure best case 70 of them die from this. (Not so bad really). That is On Top Of what have would have died before from other things. Most likely 120 of them will die. That is the population of my town. Seems like a larger number when you put it like that.

I would not count on any large parks to open before July. Most of them will be shut all year. Minneapolis already announced that all beaches and pools are shut for the whole summer.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He contacted it at some sort of international convention held in Boston that he went to as part of his business.

Biogen conference at a hotel in Boston. This seems to be ground zero in MA.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Easy to say, no very easy to do. My losses will be in the multiple hundreds of thousands. If you add in the probable loss of equity due to the fact that future buyers must take into account it is possible to lose an entire year of business my true loss will likely be in the millions. Basically my life's work is hanging in the balance. Forgive me if the though of having a "free summer to volunteer" doesn't make everything rosy.

It's not ones life's work that's in the balance, It's actual lives that are in the balance. There is a difference.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should/will Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone open?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.