Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Understanding length of time for absorption & finish charge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Understanding length of time for absorption & finish charge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/20 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

The idea is to get down to 0.5a/100AH at 14.4v (77F). Temp comp for the voltage is fine, but how can you get auto for when amps get to 0.5a/100AH? You do not roll back the voltage until then.

Thank you for your question. In Apr 2017 I posted that I began a project to combine the programming power of a Raspberry Pi and a Morningstar MPPT Solar controller.

In Jan 2018 I posted again as I believed then that I had succeeded in automating a process to keep my bank charged and accomplish the 0.5% goal. Post one(1) asked for feedback/comments.

But, yes, I would be agreeable to answer questions about how and why I believe my bank is charged.

Should I start another topic?

HTH;
John

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/20 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not yet. Need time to review the linked threads.

EDIT--only understood some of that tech stuff. (Missed those threads as I don't follow the Technology forum.)

I see where after Mex jumped in it gets to my question, but I did not understand where it automatically drops to Float from Absorb based on amps. It seems to be based on estimated required Abs times depending on conditions?

Your estimated times have been worked out to get you down to the amps level quite well most times for your set up and conditions, but the actual amps level is not the trigger?

A new thread in Tech Issues can't hurt, but it is a lot of work for you to post all that complicated stuff I imagine.

* This post was last edited 04/12/20 07:41am by BFL13 *   View edit history

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

EDIT--only understood some of that tech stuff. (Missed those threads as I don't follow the Technology forum.)

I see where after Mex jumped in it gets to my question, but I did not understand where it automatically drops to Float from Absorb based on amps. It seems to be based on estimated required Abs times depending on conditions?

Your estimated times have been worked out to get you down to the amps level quite well most times for your set up and conditions, but the actual amps level is not the trigger?

A new thread in Tech Issues can't hurt, but it is a lot of work for you to post all that complicated stuff I imagine.

Those are good questions.

Don't worry about the effort on my part, it will be my joy. It is in my best interest to address questions. Often, while answering or explaining, we can catch myself in an error in my thinking. I benefit the most if someone can identify a problem.

I will accept your 'Not yet' as a 'Yes' and go ahead and start a new topic.

HTH;
John

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

I did create a new topic.

Automatic, smart battery charger? , part 2.

I hope this answers your questions.

HTH;
John

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, thanks. That answers my question very well.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you guys please lay me out again regarding equalization charge. These are 8v flooded batteries. Im able to trick my charger and say its a 10v battery and then adjust the individual cell voltage down to 2.16v. It only goes up to 2.60v and according to trojan i want to equalize at 2.7v

My question is about amperage. Im pretty sure trojan is saying i can charge at 20% of C20 to get up to the 2.7v per cell. But then i remember mex saying to use 5amp constant. Or maybe it was 10a. I know this came up several times over the last few years.

For really old batteries that we have been nursing for years, should i bring it up slowly with a 5a charge? Or that a waste of time?

[image]

[image]

red31

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

step by step corrective eq
http://support.rollsbattery.com/support/........430-corrective-equalization-instructionshttp://support.rollsbattery.com/support/solutions/articles/430-corrective-equalization-instructions

step 3 - 3. Initiate the Equalization charge mode at a steady low DC current (5-10% of C/20 battery capacity). If grid power is not available, use a DC power source (generator) or PV array with sufficient current when possible.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 42 minutes the 5a charge left the voltage stable at only 9.77v and im looking for 10.8v.

Bumped it up to 10a charge and its now at 10.78v and still taking just about the full 10a and its 1 hour in.

Looks like the 5a charge is way too low. I think LY said he cranks the amperage up and equalizes real quick. Was with a neighbors 6v batteries i believe the example he gave.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks red just seeing your reply. 5-10%

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 12:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For top charging and equalization use the FIVE PERCENT OF TOTAL AMP HOURS FORMULA. You have the two best analysis staring you in the face....

HYDROMETER SPECIFIC GRAVITY

HOW VIGOROUSLY or not are the cells bubbling?

TRENDS AND TENDENCIES
You can not manage flooded lead acid batteries without an accurate baseline of FIRST determining how voltage and amperage REACT to specific gravity readings. Think of it as going a million miles into space and then try and determine WHICH WAY IS UP...

Each entity of construction. Percentage of antimony, whether hybrid plate construction is used (calcium negative plates) or a myriad of other fundamentals are used or not determines the characteristics of your battery.

What the battery shows via instrumentation are the clues. Clues are dirivitives of specific gravity as measured with a hydrometer.

Managing a flooded lead acid battery solely by a rudimentary manual issued by the manufacturer is a fool's errand. Got it?

Far too many discrepancies between reading and reality. Electro chemistry is only understood precisely by someone willing to anchor baseline numbers and only the can they manage for awhile management via instrument numbers only.

Trends And Tendencies.

Manufacturers publish estimated number of cycles yet less than one half of one percent of users approach within forty percent of that number of lifetime cycles.

Look at the hydrometer reading FIRST and instrument readings SECOND.

Having an adjustable charger like a Magawatt makes this easy. A preset smart charger's prime directive is to argue and ignore reality.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Understanding length of time for absorption & finish charge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.