Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What manufacturers will this recession bring down?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> What manufacturers will this recession bring down?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which will cover the mom and pop dealers, and among the manufacturers many will be covered by the manner in which they have broken down their companies.
Forest River for example may own the majority stake in each subsidiary, but most of those subsidiaries are likely under 500 employees. ie; do Coachmen, Palomino, or Prime Time Manufacturing have over 500 employees.
The same way bigger corporations break down their company as a shield for liability purposes, it will often help with keeping them in the "small business" world.

* This post was edited 04/05/20 06:52am by an administrator/moderator *

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing none of you have mentioned; Many people have discovered what jobs need to be done for society to function. And because all wealth is based on work, these workers might demand their share of the economy. We may see a surge in unions, and a big rise in the pay of the lowest paid workers. Customers with money in their pocket is any businesses most valuable asset.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree Crowe, I also hear a lot of this one should have done this or that, or if so and so would have or haven’t done that. A lot of blame going around and armchair quarterbacking. It’s disgusting..

And yet it continues.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

One thing none of you have mentioned; Many people have discovered what jobs need to be done for society to function. And because all wealth is based on work, these workers might demand their share of the economy. We may see a surge in unions, and a big rise in the pay of the lowest paid workers. Customers with money in their pocket is any businesses most valuable asset.

Not all wealth is based on work. Contrary, most wealth is redistributed among the wealthy in the market. When unemployment is up and people without jobs need to pay rent, they will take a lesser paying job to keep the wheels moving. They certainly aren't going to hold out for a Union job. In the short term, what will happen is the exact opposite of what you are proposing. Jobless people aren't in a position to demand anything and competition for jobs will go to the lowest bidder. When unemployment is low and candidates are more scarce - only then does the potential employee have any power to demand anything.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not going to be as bad as the RV recession in '72~73.

I was working for Thetford at that time as a product engineer, and one day the sales guy that I was most close to came by the coffee pot just shaking his head.

He told me that he had just finished trying contact a large portion of his client base. Only three had even answered the phone and one of those said that this was the last day that they were even open. The rest of twenty plus either nobody answered at all or the phone had been disconnected.

This was during the first "Arab Oil Embargo". This was the birth of the Department of Energy that was supposed to stop our reliance on off-shore oil. And also the beginning of CAFE limits.

Just look at how far we have come.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

Crowe wrote:

Enough negativity. Making a contest of who might not make it is reprehensible. Is it beyond all of you to be positive?

I agree Crowe, I also hear a lot of this one should have done this or that, or if so and so would have or haven’t done that. A lot of blame going around and armchair quarterbacking. It’s disgusting..

Being positive is typically a great idea.
At the moment, people continue to gloss over the reality of what is happening to the country. It is going to take years to get over this, not a few weeks, Easter, or May 1. Stop kidding yourself.

An industry like RVs is based on expendable income. People are not going to have much of it in the next year. Many companies will never recover.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Not all wealth is based on work. Contrary, most wealth is redistributed among the wealthy in the market.

All wealth comes from work and the fact that we sent way too much of the work to China is, in my opinion, what has weakened this country. Sure, the money changers can toss the wealth about but it will slowly trickle back to the place it was created.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well said! Being Pollyanna is fine but it does not change facts. Look at your portfolio see how much you have lost. Hard to smile and laugh at a funeral, no matter how fake

* This post was edited 04/05/20 09:56am by an administrator/moderator *

horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

Well said! Being Pollyanna is fine but it does not change facts. Look at your portfolio see how much you have lost. Hard to smile and laugh at a funeral, no matter how fake

It's only a loss if you try to sell now. But it is a good time to buy.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

But it is a good time to buy.
Maybe, if you think massive unemployment and soaring deficits are 'baked in.'

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> What manufacturers will this recession bring down?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.