Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: this 20 ton bottle jack? this air compressor?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> this 20 ton bottle jack? this air compressor?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/20 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this 20 ton bottle jack? this air compressor?

Hi all - I have a F350 crew cab long bed gasser, with a pop up truck camper always on it, that is about 2,700 lbs wet.

If I happen to get a flat tire… it is my understanding that the Ford OEM jack wont be appropriate to jack up the truck with the camper on it.

Would this 20 ton bottle jack be good?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000234IT4

Anything else I need?

also - novice question - any other tips for how to safely jack up the truck to swap a wheel?

and secondly… I need an air compressor for blowing out the air lines in our pop up camper when I winterize it…. also on the chance that I need to air down the tires due to sand … I need a compressor to be able to air back up. They are 18” All Terrain Wranglers. LT 275 / 70R x 18 E

VIAAIR have been recommended. Supposedly this is a good size for my tires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9B32M

Any thoughts on this model?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 11:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure, it's a bottle Jack. Your truck is not that heavy, so anything will work.
Viair is a good compressor to fill tires. It doesn't have the cfm to blow out water lines. Not even close. It's not much compressor for the money unless you don't have a 120V power source.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 12:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your truck jack will lift truck with the camper. Maybe not whole rear, but corner for sure.
That is nice 12V compressor, but on expensive side.
If you plan to have inverter, you can buy better 120V compressor for about $60.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s a very good VIAIR compressor. I have the 400P-RV, which is the same compressor, with an extra hose and a few more accessories that are very useful if your truck is a dually, and/or you tow a trailer. It has one of the best dually inflator extensions I’ve ever used, and for some reason they don’t sell that item separately [emoticon]

I like it’s auto shut-off feature. That’s what allows you to use standard closed-end air accessories and not damage the compressor. A lot of 12 volt compressors and inflators have to use open-end (flow though) air accessories.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 04/04/20 05:09am by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazon 20 Ton Bottle Jack

VIAIR Compressor

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A nice Dewalt Impact driver is a good thing to ease the tire change process as well.

I have a Viair compressor and love it. I used it daily when I was transporting RVs. The RV manufacturers NEVER checked the tire pressure before sending the rigs out the door. I did, to prevent tires issues in the middle of nowhere. Every RV I hauled had low tires when I picked it up.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timberridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried to find a suitable bottle jack for my camper and quickly ran into two issues. First I needed completely different initial height and throw specs for the front and back of my truck. You need to make sure that when a tire is flat, there is sufficient space under the lifting point to fit the jack. A second issue was the lack of a cradle on most bottle jacks. For the rear of the truck, I needed to lift on the axle. I needed a cradle to securely hold the axle. Eventually I found a floor jack for home use but it is too big to try to carry if I needed it during a trip. You should be able to get by with the OEM jack. Just undo the tiedowns and use the camper jacks in conjunction with the OEM jack.

Ten years ago I bought a relatively small Slime compressor from Walmart for about $40. The current cost would probably be about $50-60. It has lasted and I use it frequently to keep my tires at max pressure. I was also able to use it to pump up new, semi-flat 19.5" tires to 105 psi. That was slow and reflected what would be needed to pump a flat tire. I had to run the compressor about 10 minutes. Then I let it cool for a few minutes and it took another 5 minutes or so to finish. That nuisance is worth it to me in order to keep the size and cost of the unit low.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Viair 87P. Not quite enough to get to full pressure on the truck, but I bought it to take with me on the UTV. Works great for air bags, but I’m due an upgrade to inflate the truck tires. Way better than any of the cheap models that are similar that I’ve had in the past.

I have a 12ton bottle jack. I always thought I could put the TC jacks down if ever needed, but one of the reasons I have 19.5s is they are basically indestructible.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottle Jack’s can be unstable. Be very careful. Personally I use them to lift but then support with something else...jack stand for instance. Block the other wheels.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t get too wrapped around the wheel (no pun intended) about having a Mac daddy tire changing setup.
Unless you’re rock crawling or a bad driver, you shouldn’t expect to be getting flat tires often. IE I wouldn’t buy an expensive impact just for changing flats. If you have a regular use for one and have it available, it’s convienet.
And if you have a generator, skip the Viaair unless you have a tank to store some air. Otherwise it’s only good for tires and air bags.
Space is a concern so don’t plan on blowing out water lines on the road. If you need air for water lines, just flip a service station $5 to use some air for a few minutes.
I can’t even think where I’d store a suitable compressor for that with a TC.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> this 20 ton bottle jack? this air compressor?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.