Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: this 20 ton bottle jack? this air compressor?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> this 20 ton bottle jack? this air compressor?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update - someone pointed out that I’d need to jack up the truck/pop up truck camper combo from the axle, (?) so I’d need a * cradle * to do it safely. (?)

Yes this kit is expensive, but it comes highly recommended by a number of people, as being very safe.

I hope to be traveling and RVing for many many years to come, and safety is priceless to me.

thoughts? Never mind the price. :-)

They are currently 20% off, (back ordered 2 weeks) so the 20% off takes the sting out. and happy to support a small business.

https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories/products/safe-jack-bottle-jack-recovery-kit-with-bottle-jack

Do I want to add the UNIVERSAL BOTTLE JACK BASE ? $40.

Also I understand I should carry a basic jack stand with me, to put in place, after the corner is jacked up, to be extra safe. Any recommendations? Bonus points for an Amazon link (yes it will be weeks ‘till I get it)

Thanks!

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I HAD a bottle jack that was something like that, except mine was also pneumatic. It lifted the whole side of my older 15k fifth wheel with breaking a sweat.

When I got the 6 point hydraulic system, I gave the both jack to my bro-in-law..

I have a compressor that is close to that model and it works well...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LosAngeles wrote:

Update - someone pointed out that I’d need to jack up the truck/pop up truck camper combo from the axle, (?) so I’d need a * cradle * to do it safely. (?)

Yes this kit is expensive, but it comes highly recommended by a number of people, as being very safe.

I hope to be traveling and RVing for many many years to come, and safety is priceless to me.

They are currently 20% off, (back ordered 2 weeks) so the 20% off takes the sting out. and happy to support a small business.

https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories/products/safe-jack-bottle-jack-recovery-kit-with-bottle-jack

Also I understand I should carry a basic jack stand with me, to put in place, after the corner is jacked up, to be extra safe. Any recommendations? Bonus points for an Amazon link (yes it will be weeks ‘till I get it)

Thanks!

Here is a link - click

deserteagle56

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When your tire goes flat, good luck with getting that bottle jack under the axle. Every one I've tried has been too tall - and if I managed to dig a hole deep enough to get the jack under the axle, then there was not enough lift with the jack to get the good tire on the truck.

1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deserteagle56 wrote:

When your tire goes flat, good luck with getting that bottle jack under the axle. Every one I've tried has been too tall - and if I managed to dig a hole deep enough to get the jack under the axle, then there was not enough lift with the jack to get the good tire on the truck.

great point - I should measure axle to ground, and cross check any possible jack.

thanks!

[emoticon]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2017 Ford come with low bottle jack, that should fit under axle with flat tire.
Did not test it this way yet, but used the jack for lot of work around the house and it seems pretty decent.
Had cheaper jack in the past and making the valve holding was always an adventure.
I think those days almost everybody has some kind of roadside assistance, so calling them is always good option, especially when you can take a nap waiting for them inside the camper.
When you are off road on 40 degree slope, no bottle jack is going to help you.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LosAngeles wrote:

Thanks!

I’d suggest getting off the internet, getting a $25 bottle jack from harbor freight, some cribbing and go crawl under your truck and practice rather than trying to learn how to do everything via YouTube.
Internet might not work where you need it!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why wouldn't you release your tie downs and use the camper jacks to lift the camper a bit off the truck bed? Then your just lifting and "empty" truck with the OEM jack. It might even be necessary to access the winch to lower your spare tire anyway. Some campers' rear overhand blocks the winch hole. Or, I've seen some people unbolt the winch and turn it 90 degrees so the winch handle can fit in thru the rear wheel well.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great concept. Not big enough for this application (but I don't think the OP needs 20 ton capacity. 10 ton (20,000 lbs) would be more than enough.

[image]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floor jack? Most places I have had to change a tire, did not have a floor. If the jack can't roll, won't always lift.
Bottle jack is always limited for stroke. Often if jack will go under lift point with flat tire, will not lift high enough to get inflated tire on. Pull flat up on block, loosen nuts. Jack up enough to move block. Get out, spin off nuts, remove block, R&R wheel, spin nuts on, lower and retrieve jack, torque nuts.
Note, I said nothing about a jack stand. You have to be under the vehicle supported by jack to get the stand in place. Changing a tire, this just increases your risk. If only under while the wheel will hold it up, that's best.
OP, what makes you think you need 20 ton? A 6 will lift a way overloaded pickup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> this 20 ton bottle jack? this air compressor?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.