Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: All this time on our hands
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> All this time on our hands

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In light of all the time we have with this lockdown we should all:
Have the cleanest home we have had in years
The cleanest and shiniest RV we have had in a long time.
The best landscaping and lawn in like ...never.
The cleanest cars/trucks in a very long time.
a completed 'hunny-do list.
and if one gets bored enough you can always change the air in your tires to 'summer' air from the old and stale 'winter' air.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to build a 6 meter J-pole antenna, but I can't go to Ace Hardware for the copper pipe and fittings.
I have the coax cable, solder, flux, and propane for the torch, but no copper pipe.
The weather is getting nice enough that I can go outside and build it, but...
Oh, well, I can get gardens ready to plant. I did get both tillers tuned up before society fell apart.
I did rinse the first ten layers of winter mud off the vehicles a few days ago. It may get warm enough to really wash them pretty soon.
I need to get under the Subaru and find out what the "thump/thump" is in the rear end. It might get dry enough to get the ramps out and back up on them so I can get under there.
We are working on getting the mouse mess cleaned up in the motorhome. A certain soap and herbal packets seem to have failed over the winter. DW wants a doggy house built under the bed, I can begin that process, too.
Oh, yeah, and install a bow eye on an aluminum boat that really isn't designed for one. Long ago and far away I was an aircraft sheet metal mechanic. I can do this! If I mess it up, I know how to patch the boat!
So, yes, lots of projects.
Now, if I can just beat the procrastination...

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, don't be
"a person given to prolonged spells of low spirits, dejected and apathetic"
Think of yourself as being on a long vacation, wearing a mask and washing your hands most of the time. If you can't find someone to fix the lawn mower and string trimmer, learn to fix it yourself.
Don't go to the shooting range, it's closed. Think twice about going fishing. What if the boat engine quits?
OH, it's not a good time to take the grandkids to Disneyland either. Besides, ......

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I hired a kid from Church to come weed our flower beds, then our kid that mowed our lawn last year is home from college and mowed a couple of days ago. Doing all I can to keep the economy going, may call the flower bed kid back to wash the vehicles.....

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devil's Advocate here. This might be a light-hearted attempt at what to do right now, but I have to disagree that this is what we "should do". Most days I am using the time constructively but truly no differently than I normally do as I am not working. But there are days when I just don't feel like doing anything. And that's OK. It's OK to be down and apathetic from time-to-time. It's OK to lump in a chair because it's what you want to do. It's OK to be sad and feel the hurt that others are going through sometimes. That's called empathy and sympathy. The last thing we need is for people to come out the other side and be judged based on what they accomplished during the down time. And people will feel like they don't measure up. It's a fragile time right now. Be sad. Be angry. Acknowledge those feelings. Be lazy if you want. It's your rules, not somebody else's.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to help fix whatever is causing me to feel this way. I will consider it as being part of the solution. I prefer to be my ole happy self. Also, I gotta make sure the Dutch Star is in tip-top shape, gotta move to the north mountains of New Mexico.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've vacuumed the carpets soooo often, only the underlay is left.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/20 12:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe, it is just a light hearted attempt to get people to talk about how they are keeping busy. I am not trying to tell anyone what they "should" do, I don't care because I am a huge advocate of "it's your time so accomplish what you will or waste it as you will". The utmost thing is to not let depression set in. I have enough to stay busy for a long time yet and thats what I intend to do, stay busy.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have discovered that there are elves in the Ham Radio community. I took the garbage out yesterday, and discovered a huge copper pipe J-pole antenna laying at the edge of the driveway beside the Jeep. It isn't quite a 6 meter one, but it is big enough to convert to 6 meters with little effort.
I will ask on the morning 2 meter net, see if I can find out where it came from and thank the person who dropped it off.

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow , nice story about the antenna materials. I am going back and forth between doing stuff and not doing anything because of worry about the situation. I cleaned up my camper after it was used to pick up my Mother in law in FL. There was a little water in the over cab - but the good news is it came in from the side window - not the roof or running lights. Great news for me....Trying to stay focused on projects - there are a lot of them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> All this time on our hands
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.