Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Westlake tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Westlake tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

My opinion, you have serviceable tires that are over rated for the weight you are running them under. Ignore those that have money to throw away and run them until they wear out or date out. Find an inflation table and reduce the pressure to where it should be and keep the extra $800 to pay for camping trips.
If you were running an E rated tire at or close to the max rating, I might say spend the money for different tires.

I have run nothing but G's on my fifth wheels ,and have done so for years. I know about the inflation charts. I know what tire I want . Its obvious it would not matter if Westlake G rated tires prove out to be a decent quality. Sailuns will be my first choice until I am convinced of another brand .

So you already have your decision made and you made this post just to give us something to waste our time with.

Got it. Please do someone local a favor and offer those new tires for use by someone that can't afford new ones.

How busy are you really, you seem to have time for the forums . So I doubt you wasted much time [emoticon]

Here is the deal I got a new set of tires ,and wheels on this fifth wheel , I know nothing of Westlakes ,reason for the thread. No different then someone getting on here , and asking about the Sailuns. I thought if there was some favorable replies I might consider running them for a couple years. Yes I know what tire I want, that wasn't my point here. Sorry if you feel I'm wasting people times , but I very much doubt that ,don't you really.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

Grand Design has, until recently, put Westlakes on all their RVs. Earlier on, there were issues with the Westlake LR E tires. Since GD started putting the Westlake load range Gs on the Solitudes and Momentums, there have not been any documented issues on either of the Grand Design forums (and folks do like to complain about tires). Our new 2020 Solitude came with the load range G Westlakes (we had Sailun Gs on our previous fifth wheel) and I plan to run the Westlakes for now. I may replace them a bit earlier than I would have the Sailuns, but the Westlake Gs are developing a good reputation among those who have them. When replacement time comes, though, it will be with Sailun S637s.

Edit/PS: no matter what tire you run, I consider a good TPMS to be critical.

Rob

Thanks for the honest report, I remember a few years back about the Sailuns, and we know how that turned out .

There is not much I have been able to find out about Westlakes ,and their manufacturing procedures . There is one website I found that does not have the current weight ratings . It showed the tire I have ST 235/80/16 as an E rated tire with a weight rating of 3620, and the 235/85/16 @ 4080 . Now they are 4080 for the 80's and 4400 for the 85's both max psi 110, same as the Sailuns .

Yes I run TST 507 , bought last year for my TPMS

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Goodyear Endurance E rated tires got me to Florida and back, a distance of 2420 miles without any problems at all. I'm very happy with them.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Second Chance wrote:

Grand Design has, until recently, put Westlakes on all their RVs. Earlier on, there were issues with the Westlake LR E tires. Since GD started putting the Westlake load range Gs on the Solitudes and Momentums, there have not been any documented issues on either of the Grand Design forums (and folks do like to complain about tires). Our new 2020 Solitude came with the load range G Westlakes (we had Sailun Gs on our previous fifth wheel) and I plan to run the Westlakes for now. I may replace them a bit earlier than I would have the Sailuns, but the Westlake Gs are developing a good reputation among those who have them. When replacement time comes, though, it will be with Sailun S637s.

Edit/PS: no matter what tire you run, I consider a good TPMS to be critical.

Rob

Thanks for the honest report, I remember a few years back about the Sailuns, and we know how that turned out .

There is not much I have been able to find out about Westlakes ,and their manufacturing procedures . There is one website I found that does not have the current weight ratings . It showed the tire I have ST 235/80/16 as an E rated tire with a weight rating of 3620, and the 235/85/16 @ 4080 . Now they are 4080 for the 80's and 4400 for the 85's both max psi 110, same as the Sailuns .

Yes I run TST 507 , bought last year for my TPMS

This Canadian Westlake site has the ratings information that you are looking for. https://www.westlaketire.ca/tire-details.php?title=CR960A&id=13

I will also echo what Second Chance stated that so far no reports of the G rated Westlakes failing. The E rated were failing on heavier Grand Design units that now use G rated. I am happy so far with my E rated Westlakes but then they have 1000lbs reserve capacity right from Grand Design.

Rob

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

sdfiver

Rapid City, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2019 Bighorn 3760EL came with Westlake ST235/85R16 tires on it. Got over 7,000 miles on them and they're just like new. No uneven wear, no cupping or bulges. We run them at 110psi checking pressure everytime we start a days tow. My understanding is that they are speed rated to 75 mph although we usually run 65 to 70. Retired so no reason to haul ass like some do.

2016 F-350 6.7L Super Duty Platinum
2019 Heartland Bighorn 3760EL

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/20 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run G rated Westlakes on my Cedar Creek. No problems so far knock on wood. On my 5th year with them. They hold even tire pressure, wear evenly and no bulges. I will replace them with Sailuns only because of their stellar reputation but overall I'm satisfied with them.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/20 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchased a 2019 Vilano in August 2018 that came with Westlake G's. I previously had put Sailuns on my HitchHiker and was very happy with them. So I was nervous about this unknown "Westlake" brand. I did a lot of research on the internet and found issues on E rated tires (overloaded I believe) but didn't find any problems on Westlake Gs. I have a TPMS so I decided to run them for a few years and then trade out to Sailuns.

My VL comes in at about 16,000 lbs. I ran the Westlake G's for a year and a half and 20k miles with no issues. Was happy with them.

A month ago I picked up a nail in one that wasn't pluggable. Given I was planning on replacing them in a couple years and could get all four new Sailuns for $700 where I was I elected to replace all and now have Sailuns again. A little bit more 'piece of mind' but honestly I think the Westlake G's performed well and would run again if the unit came with them (provided I had TPMS, which I'd recommend for any tire). I think the bad rap that some give Westlake is an E issue, not a Westlake issue, on heavy rigs.

If they were mine, I would run them for a while unless I had $ burning a hole in my pocket

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/20 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a new 2017 3x open range. It came with the G rated Westlakes. We now have well over 15000 miles on them and they are fine. I am a firm believer in running maximum recommended pressure in them and have done so with all the fivers, tt's and boats I have ever owned. There are failures in all brand tires as there are in tow vehicles and everything else you buy.
I would not worry about them.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/20 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

American made Good Year Endurance ST tires have had positive recommendations. I'd steer clear of any tire from China, which has a terrible reputation. I don't see the need for a G rated tire as your trailer doesn't weigh enough to warrant the extra weight carrying capacity of the G. Just get a quality E rated tire.

When I had my Everest 5th wheel I ran Michelin LT truck tires with no tire issues. On my current trailer I have Michelin XPS Rib E rated, which is a commercial grade truck tire. They've been in use for 6 years with no zero tire issues. I'll buy them again.

Why would I go that Goodyear Endurance mentioned @ 4080 lb rating ,and an E rated tire , when I could go to a Sailun S637 ST235/80/16 rated the same 4080, and a G rated proven tire without a doubt, when compared to a Goodyear where I am skeptical at best. That Endurance is what 3 years old. Granted they may prove in the long run to be great, I'll wait , I did on the Sailuns ,and I will on the Goodyears until I am convinced they are a quality tire.

Too funny.

ZERO issues over three years.

Just run what ya have. Let us know in three years how they did.

Ron, Sailun tires came out in 2002, 18 YEARS , yes 18 YEARS ago. And yet what ,the last 5 or 6 years ago they really started showing up more, and more. I can tell one of the biggest reasons ,time after time someone switching to Sailun from Goodyear for the simple fact of blowouts ,and damage to their fifth wheel. You just DON"T hear that about Sailun.

Goodyears at one point were just about the only game in town for a G rated RV tire, that changed with the Sailun. I know you are big on Goodyear, and those 3 year old Endurance, no way in the world would I run a E rated tire on a heavier fifth wheel, I don't care what weight rating they are claiming .

Will I run those Westlakes for three years , very doubtful. Heres the deal, I have a sneaky feeling that those Westlakes are going to prove out to be a rival of the Sailuns. Their old website, only one I can find about them, they had a totally different weight ratings then they do now. The ST 235/80/16 wasn't even a G rated tire they were an E rated I believe 3620 Lbs. Now both the 80's , and 85's are G rated . Identical weight ratings , steel plies etc etc. to the Sailuns. We will see.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/20 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

My Goodyear Endurance E rated tires got me to Florida and back, a distance of 2420 miles without any problems at all. I'm very happy with them.

May I ask ,what size tire , and weight of fifth wheel. 2420 miles is not much to gauge a tire. I ran many more then that on a set of Mission E rated tires made in China that came stock on my Montana fifth wheel . They proved to be a horrible tire , many many blowouts . Two years I ran those tires ,and then got them off, I pushed my luck far enough [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Westlake tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.