Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Solar Charging and Amp Hours
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Charging and Amp Hours

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the amperage from a solar panel constant as the battery it is charging charges up?

I.e., as your battery reaches full charge, the current drops to zero either via the charge controller or the equalization of the panel and battery, right?

So this simple math is false? 120 watt panel, 12 volt system, 10 amps, 10 hours to charge a 100 Amp Hour battery?

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/20 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, false. Charging to 80-85% goes quickly with the battery accepting everything or almost all sent to it. During the absorption phase the battery accepts less and less.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 120w panel does not output 10amps

Out put it more like 7 amps

Full Working voltage of a 12v panel is around 17v,
Output from the controller is 14.x to properly charge the battery

12v won't charge a battery, a battery at 12v is only 50% charged/capacity

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really depends on your charge controller. Some are "smart chargers", slowing the charge rate as the battery nears the full stage.

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are still experienced RVers with dumb controllers?

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Is the amperage from a solar panel constant as the battery it is charging charges up?

I.e., as your battery reaches full charge, the current drops to zero either via the charge controller or the equalization of the panel and battery, right?

So this simple math is false? 120 watt panel, 12 volt system, 10 amps, 10 hours to charge a 100 Amp Hour battery?

False in many ways [emoticon]

The current to battery rises from first light to high noon (when the panel output is as high as it can get with the sun that high--which is not necessarily the most the panel could do if the sun were higher at that time of year in that place-- and then it goes back down till dark as the sun's angle gets less direct again.

So no constant amps as the battery charges up.

With PWM, the "panel voltage" is the battery voltage--they do not eventually equalize. Current output is iaw the IV curves for that panel--see the specs for any panel for its IV curves.

As the battery nears full charge, its amps acceptance rate tapers as usual, so whatever the solar output is by then, amps will taper. Now you might see 'extra amps' that can be used to run loads without stealing any from battery charging.

To learn what AH haul a panel can provide, there are tables on line for locations and times of year that give "insolation" figures. Use those with the panel specs.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

I am going to try to answer a question you posed last June. Then we can work up to explaining what solar panel specs there are.

YOU wrote:

What I don't understand is how a system that generates 20-50+ amps doesn't fry the batteries.

Amps alone cannot 'fry' batteries, I wish you would explain what 'fry' means. But I digress.

In the world of DC, Watts = Volts * Amps. Now if your battery is resting at 12.5V and you apply one million Amps at 12V, then it is likely that Amps would be taken from the battery.

What! Yes, to charge a battery, you MUST apply higher Volts than the battery's standing Volts. It is the difference between the charging Volts and the battery's Volts that matter. If you want to raise a battery to a set Volts, you must also set the desired Volts with your battery charger.

The battery's specs dictate the upper limits of both Volts and Amps. The charger must obey these limits. It is your responsibility of employ a proper charger.

When you connect a solar panel directly to your battery, you can see there is no regulation mechanism to meet the battery specs. You don't want that if the panel specs exceed the battery specs.

HTH;
John

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even those with training can forget the rock bottom basics.

The important thing is that current (amps) is a result, not a force. (Did you know batteries have resistance?)

Resistance is a property of things and as such doesn't vary easily. (Yes, very simplified) Voltage is generated and applied to a resistance. Those fundamental aspects will make current/amperage happen.

When current flows "work" can happen. Watts is a calculation we find useful to describe overall power/work.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

No. Solar panels aren't an exact science. Solar input affects panel output. Shade (clouds), sun to panel angles, TOD, charge controller charge algorithms, many things affect the amount of charging output that reaches the battery.

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

If the charge controller sees and reacts to the increasing internal resistance of the battery to accepting more charge as it fills up, yes.

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Yes, that math is false. Real numbers are probably closer to Mr. Wizard's numbers.

You didn't ask about the differences between lithium and lead acid charging? That's where the opinions really start to diverge. [emoticon]
p.s. I know little to nothing about this stuff.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

I agree with everyone that says no. But in a very simplified view that answer can be close to a yes.

Heres an example. My solar charge controller is in the hallway. While camping i pass it often. Seems like during the day every time i look its displaying the same number of charge amps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Charging and Amp Hours
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.