Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Shore Power Question -- (15A+30A=45A)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Shore Power Question -- (15A+30A=45A)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

One question, three different answers. That's why this forum is so popular. Everyone gets their say, and they don't get ridiculed for it.

Read the first two pages of the post "Long Arm of the Law".

This is my first post in a long, long time and probably my last for even longer. Gary's post was a good one, answers 18 thru to the end are in left field and off topic.

Please come back sometime in the fUTURE with some "MORE" informative information. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 04/20/20 10:39am by Cummins12V98 *

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As other said, not a good idea. It will not work with any GFCI outlet, which you'll (properly) find most everywhere.

If there should happen to be a fault or bad connection in one of the neutral connections, you would have a potentially dangerous overload. This is especially true if the fault is in the 30A neutral and the two outlets are on the same leg of the power supply (which is not uncommon); you could have up to 45A or 50A going through the one neutral that's rated for 15A or 20A without any circuit breaker tripping or anything.

If you have any 240V devices in your RV, or if one of the outlets is miswired, having one side plugged in makes the other side hot even when its unplugged. A male plug that can be hot when unplugged is dangerous.

For these reasons, among others, this device (and practically all others like it) are not UL approved.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

One question, three different answers. That's why this forum is so popular. Everyone gets their say, and they don't get ridiculed for it.

Read the first two pages of the post "Long Arm of the Law".

This is my first post in a long, long time and probably my last for even longer. Gary's post was a good one, answers 18 thru to the end are in left field and off topic.
Bye.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Only if something else is wired improperly. This highlights a common misconception. A lot of people think the difference between 30A and 50A service is 20A. But that's not really accurate. Really the difference is 70A. 30A service is 30A at 110V where 50A service is 2 50A 110V circuits. This is almost always implemented as a 50A 220V circuit on the power pedestal. Any time you use a 50A to 30A dog-bone though, it connects both legs together supplying the single 30A 110V circuit to both of the 50A circuits in the RV. This dual circuit adapter does not connect the 15A circuit and the 30A circuit together internally, so unless something within the RV connects them, connecting one but not the other should not result in voltage to the disconnected plug. However, as DrewE suggested, if there is a fault in the RV wiring or "true" 220V appliance in the RV, it could result in voltage on the unattached plug.

However, the biggest reason not to use one of these is that unless you have special circumstances, they almost always gain you no additional capacity. Most power pedestals that offer a 30A circuit and a 15/20A outlet aren't powered by separate circuits and the pedestal is limited to 30A not 50A. So in this case, using a standard 50A to 30A dog-bone gets you the same amount of power. Now you could, in theory, use this adapter to get power from two different pedestals, but even if campgrounds would allow this, as already suggested the required GFCI on the 15/20A receptacle would likely immediately trip.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcmac214 wrote:

[image]

How well does a dual-pigtail like this Camco item work for 15A plus 30A giving you a nominal 45A when they don't have 50A? Reviews at amazon etc are pretty good.
Works fine for what it is.

Does not combine power so you have 15 on one side of your panel and 30 on the other side.
Will trip a GFCI outlet.
If you are OK with these limitations then it will work well for you.

For most people a 50/30 adapter works just fine also putting the 30 amps on the full panel.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcmac214 wrote:

[image]

How well does a dual-pigtail like this Camco item work for 15A plus 30A giving you a nominal 45A when they don't have 50A? Reviews at amazon etc are pretty good.

To answer original poster's question, for the reasons already mentioned, I think this is pretty much useless for any campground. You are better off with a "standard" 50A to 30A dog-bone.

There are a few potential situations where it might be useful, assuming you understand the limitations. A couple of examples are:

• Running both air conditioners off of separate generators that aren't running paralleled.
  • At your home or another private location where you have a 30A outlet and a separate non-GFCI 20A outlet.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am scratching my head as to what it's actually for. In a decade of camping all over I have never had the need to even ask if such a thing exists. Is the theory to provide a 50A coach with power when you only have 30 and 15 at a pedestal? In my rudimentary knowledge based on the way 30a and 15a is supplied being very different to how 50a is supplied I don't see how it would work. It's like adding 2 oranges together to make a basketball. Sorry, I don't get it.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

I am scratching my head as to what it's actually for. In a decade of camping all over I have never had the need to even ask if such a thing exists. Is the theory to provide a 50A coach with power when you only have 30 and 15 at a pedestal? In my rudimentary knowledge based on the way 30a and 15a is supplied being very different to how 50a is supplied I don't see how it would work. It's like adding 2 oranges together to make a basketball. Sorry, I don't get it.

Some parks charge for 50A and if you only want 30A they lockout the 50. Those that like to beat the system will use these for a few more amps.

They also get a few more if at a 30A ONLY pedestal.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

Chris Bryant wrote:

They are near worthless, as they will not work if the 15 amp outlet is GFI protected, which they all are required to be.

This answer is correct. Newer codes require GFCI outlets. And this device will not work with a GFCI since the common neutral almost guarantees the currents thru the two separate hot outlets will not balance with the neutrals back thru the respective outlet neutrals.
Might work in an older campground that has not been upgraded to GFCI.

YUP! This is correct!

The above 3 answers are correct. I have one and from experience I can tell you that it hasn't worked anywhere that I have tried it, in multiple campgrounds. In fact, if you want it, PM me and I will let you have it for a good price.

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Shore Power Question -- (15A+30A=45A)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.