Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Gray and Black tank sensor issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Gray and Black tank sensor issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget you ever saw them. Non work forever. learn to keep track of your usage. You will sleep better.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

Forget you ever saw them. Non work forever. learn to keep track of your usage. You will sleep better.

X2I agree I have never had the sensors work though the 1st year on all the trailers I've owned and I've owned several.

In the fresh water tank(s) if the overflow has water running out .... it is full if you open the drain and nothing comes out it is empty.

Black water same thing but more visual, lol.

None worth your time or effort. Once you've done the RV thing for a few years you tend to ignore certain things that make you scream and this is one of them.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tank sensors DO WORK. BUT, they fail because RV'ers do NOT follow normal procedures to keep the sensors/wall clean. LOTS of Rv'ers do not use Black tank chemical treatment. THAT causes Black tank issues. MORE THAN LOTS do NOT use Gray tank treatment. THAT causes Gray tank issues. Once the metal in the tank probes become coated and the sides of the tank become coated, they will then NOT work correctly. No amount of cleaning will restore or remove that caked on slime on the side of the tanks. The pressure wash usually will get rid of some of the wall slime. The system is simple. You have 4 or 5 probes. 1/3-2/3-full or 1/4-1/2-3/4-full with a single ground probe. When the liquid touches the probes this completes the circuit and turns on the appropriate light on the panel. I ALWAYS ask customers that complain, how come the FRESH system ALWAYS works? Because there is NO dirty water. I have LOTS of full timers that never have a problem because they spend the money and time to treat the 2 tanks from new. It always seems the complaints on these forums always come from newbies that buy used and the previous owners caused the problem. LAST, yes, external sending units like the See Level system is a good way to go to prevent false readings. Doug

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Tank sensors DO WORK. BUT, they fail because RV'ers do NOT follow normal procedures to keep the sensors/wall clean. LOTS of Rv'ers do not use Black tank chemical treatment. THAT causes Black tank issues. MORE THAN LOTS do NOT use Gray tank treatment. THAT causes Gray tank issues. Once the metal in the tank probes become coated and the sides of the tank become coated, they will then NOT work correctly. No amount of cleaning will restore or remove that caked on slime on the side of the tanks. The pressure wash usually will get rid of some of the wall slime. The system is simple. You have 4 or 5 probes. 1/3-2/3-full or 1/4-1/2-3/4-full with a single ground probe. When the liquid touches the probes this completes the circuit and turns on the appropriate light on the panel. I ALWAYS ask customers that complain, how come the FRESH system ALWAYS works? Because there is NO dirty water. I have LOTS of full timers that never have a problem because they spend the money and time to treat the 2 tanks from new. It always seems the complaints on these forums always come from newbies that buy used and the previous owners caused the problem. LAST, yes, external sending units like the See Level system is a good way to go to prevent false readings. Doug

Good post and info - do you have suggestions on products that work best?

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've put the SeeLevel the last two mh we've had and been very happy.

We had an '88 Mallard, and the sensor worked fine on that one. It used probes, and looked about like our '02 and '12 Itasca but they didn't work very well and they read in thirds which to me seemed a little better than none.

I don't know for a fact but I think that the probes on the Mallard used 12 volts and the newer Itasca's very low voltage much like an ohm meter, and the build up on the walls on the inside of the tanks would allow a small current to flow through that built up between the probs.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No products, but just read what they claim they can do and buy and install per instructions. The MAIN thing to do is, when packing up to go home and you do NOT have access at home for dumping, fill and drain the Gray and Black tanks 2 or 3 times. Then after doing this, install 1/3 tank with fresh water install the Tank chemical and this will slosh on the way home and clean the sides of the tanks. Yes, time consuming, but if you want the system to work, do what needs to be done. Doug

PS. buy and install a clear dump hose adapter so you can see the condition of the waste when flowing out. Keep filling with fresh and dumping until it flows clear.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have any first hand experience with Horst "miracle" probes? They seem to get mostly good reviews on Amazon with a few claiming they are no better than the original probes. I like the idea of the see level sensors, but I'm not sure they are worth the price...

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

happy2rv wrote:

Anyone have any first hand experience with Horst "miracle" probes? They seem to get mostly good reviews on Amazon with a few claiming they are no better than the original probes. I like the idea of the see level sensors, but I'm not sure they are worth the price...

I had a customer use the Horst and was very pleased, but he later had a problem with False readings. The Horst keep the sensor from being on the side of the tank where the slime is. The minor problem I believe is from toilet paper and such. If you use RV(degradable) you should not have a problem. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Gray and Black tank sensor issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.