Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Choosing a camper for compatibility (short and long bed)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Choosing a camper for compatibility (short and long bed)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I highly recommend a long bed truck. It will give you probably 4 times more choices of campers. Also, if you want an inexpensive truck, most of the no frills work truck type trucks are long beds because that's what people who actually use trucks for truck things want. I too would also recommend a used camper unless you have plenty of money to pay cash for a new one. When I sold my 2003 camper in 2018 it went for under $10,000. This was an 11' model with a dry back, generator, remote jacks, 2 awnings, solar panel, etc.
Campers are heavy. A 3500 SRW is a minimum. If you intend to have a 4wd diesel crew cab truck with lots of options, haul lots of gear, and have a nice big camper you really should be looking for a dually.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

I highly recommend a long bed truck. It will give you probably 4 times more choices of campers. Also, if you want an inexpensive truck, most of the no frills work truck type trucks are long beds because that's what people who actually use trucks for truck things want. I too would also recommend a used camper unless you have plenty of money to pay cash for a new one. When I sold my 2003 camper in 2018 it went for under $10,000. This was an 11' model with a dry back, generator, remote jacks, 2 awnings, solar panel, etc.
Campers are heavy. A 3500 SRW is a minimum. If you intend to have a 4wd diesel crew cab truck with lots of options, haul lots of gear, and have a nice big camper you really should be looking for a dually.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/20 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you are planing on living full time in what ever you get, do yourself a favor and get a 1 ton truck that has a deicent payload. go duely even. for full timing your going to want a deicent camper for the space and tank capacity.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

iwanttoretireearly wrote:

It's true. Of all the van life/RV life options though, truck campers just seem to me my best bet and if I'm willing to lose 25k on a used truck, I should also be willing to lose 25k-30k on a camper. Hopefully, none of them break or at least just one. But I'm going to look at Host. I saw Venture America came out with a carbon fiber travel trailer. I don't want a travel trailer but Im hoping we get lighter and lighter materials in the next 10-15 years.

OMG, I know you’re just trying to think about “all” possible scenarios, but dial down the paranoia a bit.
How many un repairable leave it on the side of the road $25k vehicle breakdowns have you had? If it’s one, it’s more than most.
And what makes a vehicle that expensive non repairable? You could put a new Diesel engine in it, the most expensive repair you could do, for half that amount
To your question though, if you are set on getting only 1 expensive component and going cheap on the other, with your fear of breakdowns, get a new truck and old camper. Campers don’t “break down”. One component may fail or get a leak, but nothing short of a tornado will really render it inhabitable.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest selection of campers is generally in the PNW and Rockies.
Not to say you won’t find one elsewhere.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full timing will require much more items than people that weekend camp. I would start with a dual rear wheel truck so you have sufficient capacity to carry your home around.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There really isn’t such a thing as a “3/4 ton camper”.
Any older dually will haul as much weight as a newer one regardless of so-called rating.
For licensing purposes they claimed a 10,000 or 11,000 GVW, not the 14,000 they do now.
But they had the same axles and were plenty stout.

You’d do yourself a big favor to get a dual rear wheel truck. They handle campers so much better.
The camper is already as wide as the dually rear fenders, so why not?

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Choosing a camper for compatibility (short and long bed)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.