Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yellowstone Lodges and Campgrounds to open in June
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone Lodges and Campgrounds to open in June

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

I think you have a much more holistic view of the situation than most people.

I once worked for a seasonal business, short track auto racing, and losing 20% of the season was a guarantee of a six figure loss for the year.

I forsee a lot of bankruptcies/ closures. Campgrounds, restaurants, even gas stations and grocery stores. This recreation based economy isn't going to spring back in a few day, weeks, months.

A lot of non-retiree customers of places like Yellowstone simply will not have the money to travel this year, or maybe even next year.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

westernrvparkowner, after reading your doom and gloom report, I thought early on that I read an article about the neighbors of those business's. Sure enough I did.

https://www.ktvq.com/news/coronavirus/neighboring-counties-ask-yellowstone-national-park-to-close
Yes,it is very easy to put someone else out of business. I don't believe the county health officials are missing a single paycheck. And I bet all the retirees and other posters on these forums advocating erring on the side of safety would feel a bit different about shutting everything down if the shutdown included draining their savings and retirement accounts.

I'm not even a year into retirement and I've put off a remodel on my home, my stocks took a big hit, and my income from the sale of my business in NY is declining, perhaps never to return, and I'm fully behind whatever measures need to be implemented to reduce the first wave and eliminate a 2nd or 3rd wave. This disease is waiting for us to get complacent. I'm here in Idaho where we had the highest rate of infection in the US, #8 now, I think, so having people swirling around singing kumbya in yellowstone is a scary thought if I was a local working or owning in the tourist biz. Money is not worth dying over.

If Yellowstone is close to empty and people feel safe I think you'll find many more people w/in 500 miles taking advantage. One thing I'm sure of is if we get a 2nd wave that will put the brakes on the entire season. Would love to visit there - last time for me was fighting the big one back in '88.

stang37

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got an email refunding my rv site deposit . We were suppose to be there 5/21. In that email they stated the campground would open 5/22. One day after we were to arrive. I call the reservation number and they book us starting 5/22. Guess that different from the hotels.

Flapper

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/20 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although retired now, I owned restaurants, and managed restaurants, my entire career. All independant, none associated with any deep pockets. Once, when a patron was loudly upbraiding me in the packed dining room about the "outrageously" high prices of our sandwiches, I lost my cool, and said, so all could hear: "Ma'am - over 60% of my costs go to paying wages, taxes and benefits of the people you see working. Point out two of them right now, and I will immediately fire them, so you can pay less for your sandwich." That stopped the complaint.

To turn that around, and to echo Gov. Cuomo: Dead is dead. From the next 100 people you see, pick the two you want to die, so that the businesses can stay open.

These are terrible times, with terrible choices. But one is much clearer than the other. If I was back in that situation, there would be no choice. Somehow, someway I and my family would get through. And those other two people would have the opportunity too.

2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/20 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

bobsallyh wrote:

westernrvparkowner, after reading your doom and gloom report, I thought early on that I read an article about the neighbors of those business's. Sure enough I did.

https://www.ktvq.com/news/coronavirus/neighboring-counties-ask-yellowstone-national-park-to-close
Yes,it is very easy to put someone else out of business. I don't believe the county health officials are missing a single paycheck. And I bet all the retirees and other posters on these forums advocating erring on the side of safety would feel a bit different about shutting everything down if the shutdown included draining their savings and retirement accounts.

I'm not even a year into retirement and I've put off a remodel on my home, my stocks took a big hit, and my income from the sale of my business in NY is declining, perhaps never to return, and I'm fully behind whatever measures need to be implemented to reduce the first wave and eliminate a 2nd or 3rd wave. This disease is waiting for us to get complacent. I'm here in Idaho where we had the highest rate of infection in the US, #8 now, I think, so having people swirling around singing kumbya in yellowstone is a scary thought if I was a local working or owning in the tourist biz. Money is not worth dying over.

If Yellowstone is close to empty and people feel safe I think you'll find many more people w/in 500 miles taking advantage. One thing I'm sure of is if we get a 2nd wave that will put the brakes on the entire season. Would love to visit there - last time for me was fighting the big one back in '88.
When you see your net worth go from multiple 7 figures to possibly nothing in the span of three months perhaps your perspective would have changed. Currently less than 1/3 of one percent of the US population have tested positive for COVID. The death toll is currently just over 1/100th of one percent of the population. People are actually not dropping dead in the streets.
The big national parks in the west are about the easiest places in the country for people to social distance. The big concern that shut down the parks in the first place was congestion at the entrances. For some reason the simple solution of suspending entrance fees and letting people just drive in didn't occur to the highly paid park officials.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/20 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So June 19th is how many days delay? Realistically 2 to 6 week delay? Get over it. We all have our struggles.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a great time to go camping in the big outdoors..... no crowds.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flapper wrote:

Although retired now, I owned restaurants, and managed restaurants, my entire career. All independant, none associated with any deep pockets. Once, when a patron was loudly upbraiding me in the packed dining room about the "outrageously" high prices of our sandwiches, I lost my cool, and said, so all could hear: "Ma'am - over 60% of my costs go to paying wages, taxes and benefits of the people you see working. Point out two of them right now, and I will immediately fire them, so you can pay less for your sandwich." That stopped the complaint.

To turn that around, and to echo Gov. Cuomo: Dead is dead. From the next 100 people you see, pick the two you want to die, so that the businesses can stay open.

These are terrible times, with terrible choices. But one is much clearer than the other. If I was back in that situation, there would be no choice. Somehow, someway I and my family would get through. And those other two people would have the opportunity too.

A second wave? A 3rd wave. Do you really think (probably if you are hiding in your house thanks to the media over hype) rhat this virus is going to come in waves? It’s not going to sit and wait like the military! It’s going to do its thing and then stop until probably next year.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Flapper wrote:

A second wave? A 3rd wave. Do you really think (probably if you are hiding in your house thanks to the media over hype) rhat this virus is going to come in waves? It’s not going to sit and wait like the military! It’s going to do its thing and then stop until probably next year.

Stop until next year = 2nd wave.

The county in Idaho that I live in had the highest infection rate in the US so to me it's a real threat, not something that is only happening somewhere else. Perhaps that gives me a different perspective than others with different experiences.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Flapper wrote:

Since the 1st wave is far from entirely over, and there is possibly a 2nd wave next year. I'd say we are far from in the clear and back to normal.
From my reading on the Spanish flu (1918 Pandemic) I think it took 5 years for them to put things 100% behind them and return normal as though nothing ever happened.
I find it bizarre our society/history didn't highlight or place much emphasis on the 1918 pandemic.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone Lodges and Campgrounds to open in June
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.