Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Yellowstone Lodges and Campgrounds to open in June
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone Lodges and Campgrounds to open in June

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mjbenedict wrote:

Those who say it's better to err on the side of caution to save lives most likely have never owned a business. All the current data points to this "pandemic" being less deadly than the common flu. What is unknown is what is driving this shutdown. While I'm all for doing social distancing I don't believe the governors should have the power to determine what private businesses should do.

Those who say to err on the side of re-opening most likely don't have 3-6 months savings put away to carry them through any sort of income disruption whether it's due to a recession, layoff, illness, injury or a pandemic. One's lack of preparedness should not be the guiding principle of this pandemic.

I do have empathy for the hourly workers who's wages are woefully inadequate to build up such a reserve. It does seem that the most vocal group of people pushing to reopen are business owners. They seem willing to have their employees risk their health and well-being of themselves and their families for very, very little in return.

40% of my business was from restaurants and institutions. I want them to stay closed as long as necessary.

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now back to Yellowstone camping...

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be a wonderful year to go with much fewer people.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the nightly camping fees will come way down.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

Maybe the nightly camping fees will come way down.
Why? If business is off 80% to begin with, why lose even more revenue by cutting prices? Saving ten bucks on an RV site won't induce people to suddenly take a major vacation. Restrictions, closures and fear are are what has shut down travel, not RV site prices.

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My point is I travel often and I haven't seen any poor campground owners yet.

Just $10 a night is $300 a month to us poor folks on Social Security.

* This post was last edited 04/25/20 11:32am by Gulfcoast *   View edit history

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Might be a wonderful year to go with much fewer people.

Unless the usual bus loads of foreigners invade the park as they do in September. Probably will be more of them.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If people are calling next year a "2hd wave" then they are wrong. If it pops up again then it will be just like the flu season where it comes and goes. Remember 80k died of the flu in 2017 and we have a "flu shot" for it.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the campgrounds will apply for the loans available.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAS43 wrote:

Unless the usual bus loads of foreigners invade the park as they do in September. Probably will be more of them.

That is going to be a big question mark.

First, it doesn't help the RV park situation at all.

Second, from other forums focusing on Aviation, the guesses for that 'normal' might look like are all over the place.

The income of the tourist from Europe is being hit worse than the US public. Asia is almost as bad. Many in Europe are complaining it might be two or three years before they can afford their normal 'holiday'.

Delta Airlines is expecting to get back to 'normal' with only 70% of their year ago capacity in seats. Many budget/ tourism airlines are technically bankrupt. Everyone expects airline tickets to climb once the public starts flying again.

Sure there will be discounts to start, but soon the available cheap seats will be gone. While $10 per night discount will cost westernrvowner a lot of money, a $10 per night increase in hotel rooms costs will make up a lot of lost revenue for the bigger chains.

And let's look back at the US RV camper. Even as a full-timer - Glacier and Yellowstone have been a once in a lifetime trip for us. Certainly not a yearly thing, though I was hopeful for 2021.

It still cost almost three times what I spend for a 'normal' month using COE and USFS type CG.

And let's talk fuel prices. In 2017, ID, MT & WY fuel purchases for my truck were from $2.729 to 2.389 for regular gasoline. Diesel was over $3.

"Oh, fuel is so cheap now."

Yes it is. But June deliveries of oil are priced at $17.18 per barrel as of Close Friday Apr 24. Once the country 'opens up' does anyone really believe we are not going to see pump prices rising daily.

The low prices are only the result of very low demand. Almost everyone is buying much less fuel today than a year ago.

Between Mar 15 and Apr 25, 2019 - I bought 248.583 gallons of gasoline.
Mar 15 - Apr 25, 2020 - 123.148 gallons - a bit less than half. I think my experience might be on the high side. My children's fuel usage is about 1/4 to 1/3 what they call normal.

Once demand picks up, I fully expect to see $3-3.50 per gallon by August, $4+ for diesel.

How many people without a fixed income during the crisis are going to be willing to make such a trip with rapidly rising fuel prices.

Those of us on a fixed income are the lucky ones now. Everyone I know who has a job is looking at a lower total income for 2020 than 2019.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone Lodges and Campgrounds to open in June
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.