Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Thor Axis/Vegas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thor Axis/Vegas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
3l4fwl

oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Morning All!
Currently researching the Thor Axis (24.1...as is usually the case, have seen good and bad reviews, which seems to be ubiquitous when researching RV's. Anyone have real life, current insights on this product? Currently have a Lance camper (which I hope to keep), but am intrigued by the Axis concept for longer time and distance traveling.

Thanks in advance for any help.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/20 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at them when I was looking to downsize. I think they are decent value if you can live with the mediocre quality.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off have you gone to the Thor Forums for information? If not you should.

I had a 2017 Thor ACE, I know not the same but yet close. We downsized from a 35'5th wheel and would still have the ACE but we down sized way to much.

As for the chase with the V10 I had no problem traveling the Midwest and the mountains of Colorado. We towed our KIA on a dolly without a problem.

The inside build was ok, as I knew I was not getting a top of the line unit. I had to reglue attach some of the paneling as it came became loose, to me not to big of a problem. I guess the biggest problem was the small black tank 26gal.with that the bathroom sink went to the black tank. This made for a rather quick fill even if using good water saving methods. Most times washed our hands in kitchen sink. End was had to go mostly FHU if in a spot longer than a weekend. I ended up getting a portable waste tank.

There were other things that I did not like but it did not deal with the quality or lack of. Remember most people will post problems rather than positive posts.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think they are a great concept. I like the long wheelbase ratio, the IFS, and the tapered front end. The nose profile is the most efficient from an aero standpoint, of all RVs. Thor worked with Ford to test the profile, and the reduced drag is what lets them offer taller gear ratios, while still having a high frontal area limit (to comply with MDT greenhouse gas limits for class 3 vehicles).

But... Thor's quality control program is hit and miss, and if you ever have a problem, you are at the mercy of the warranty approval process, meaning you could be months without your rig while waiting on repairs.

I would suggest holding out for one with the new 7.3L, as the E-series V10 doesn't make the same power as the F53 V10. But the new 7.3L engine makes more power, and is the same across platforms.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thor Axis/Vegas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.