Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Electrical issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Electrical issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As above, be sure all wires are seated in terminal box all the way and be sure they are tight. Not that you are not capable but be sure power is OFF when you do this. It also might be a good idea to also remove the breakers and clean the contacts with alcohol and a swab, then let them dry and remount. What is odd is that only one side of your RV is affected. Is there anything on the other side that feeds off the breakers. If your Microwave pr fire place for example is on the left are those affected. They usually have their own breakers. Check the power at the post. If you have 50A see if you have the same voltage coming out of each leg.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Juelc:
What are you calling a "terminal box?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would troubleshoot with some logic, but that's me. There are many potential causes, but from the two posts the original poster has made, I wouldn't begin to hazard a guess as to where his problems are without further information.

Personally, I definitely wouldn't start disassembling every outlet in the coach or the source outlet or breakers or anything else until I had an idea of the root of the problem.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes if a GFI won't reset, it's because there's a ground fault downstream.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know of ANYTHING that would shut off power for 10 minutes then restore it without human intervention save for a timer and ...well I'm sure that's not it. Now 3 minutes (or there about) I have a suspect. but 10?

I double down on the check all connections starting with the breaker box

Also if you have an inverter it may have failed to switch to pass through and the batteries gone low. then recharged.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/20 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might check the electrical connection boxes under the slide for water inside.

Our 2003 and 2010 Cruisers both allowed water in the boxes because they were not sealed. Dry them out and seal them. Just a little water can cause GFI or breakers to trip.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Open every duplex outlet and inspect how the wire is connected to the the actual outlet. "Back stabs" (where the wire is pushed into a hold in the back) are notorious for poor/intermittent connection.

There is a slot where you place a small screw driver that will release the spring holing the wire. Trim, bend the wire into a proper hook and attach it to the screw terminal on the side.

The problem here is that those outlets are rare in RV's. more likely the RV has UNIBOX outlets or quick box (Same thing different name)
Where the back comes off the wire is laid down into a metal "V" and punched down. you do not strip the inner wire just the outer insulation (if that) the knife edge of the slot cuts through the insulation and makes a point contact with the wire.. NOT a good solid connection at all NOT good for double digit amps.

Wire properly and I stress PROPERLY tightened under a screw and again I say PROPERLY double digit amps all day and no problem.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to point out the obvious, but the OP hasn't been back since 4/26 and never posted any additional information to help understand his problem. Too many questions and conflicting descriptions of the problem to hazard a guess about what's really going on!

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

120 volt breakers, if working properly, will not reset by themselves.

Same for GFCI's by the way (Do not recall if it was here or somewhere else but well. Does not hurt to mention it here)

They are both manual reset only.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Electrical issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.