Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Hitch and Pin Box Replacement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch and Pin Box Replacement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK guys need your opinions, looking to replace my hitch and 5th wheel pin box. Hitch is a 10 year old Reese 15k Pro Series with a flat sliding bar to capture the king pin with about 35k miles of towing. The bar has developed a 1/4 moon shaped groove about 1/4" deep. The king pin on the camper has also developed about an 1/8"-3/16" deep grove in it and is 10 years old also. Jayco tells me the king pin isn't replaceable and the entire pin box has to be replaced. Reese tells me the slide bar on the hitch isn't replaceable and the entire hitch head has to be replaced.

I've always been told a weld is stronger than the original material so have considered just having a friend weld both to fill the grooves and move on but worry about long term viability of both.

As a result I'm considering just biting the bullet and replacing both with new. My truck is a 2018 GMC 3500 DRW with an 8' bed and the OEM puck system.

I'm considering a B&W Companion from my local RV parts shop for $1,045 + tax. I have no idea what I want or need for the pin box.

Thoughts?

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 36

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go Reese Goosebox since you have the OEM puck system.
No dealing with a 5th hitch.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

allen8106 wrote:

OK guys need your opinions, looking to replace my hitch and 5th wheel pin box. Hitch is a 10 year old Reese 15k Pro Series with a flat sliding bar to capture the king pin with about 35k miles of towing. The bar has developed a 1/4 moon shaped groove about 1/4" deep. The king pin on the camper has also developed about an 1/8"-3/16" deep grove in it and is 10 years old also. Jayco tells me the king pin isn't replaceable and the entire pin box has to be replaced. Reese tells me the slide bar on the hitch isn't replaceable and the entire hitch head has to be replaced.

I've always been told a weld is stronger than the original material so have considered just having a friend weld both to fill the grooves and move on but worry about long term viability of both.

As a result I'm considering just biting the bullet and replacing both with new. My truck is a 2018 GMC 3500 DRW with an 8' bed and the OEM puck system.

I'm considering a B&W Companion from my local RV parts shop for $1,045 + tax. I have no idea what I want or need for the pin box.

Thoughts?

I HAD the Lippert Tri-Glide.... Lippert Flex-Air... Both were nice riding... I now have the Morryde and really like that one as well... I have only towed with the Morryde pin box for 1 season, but Think I like it better than the Lippert air/shock kits...

as far as hitch's... I've used the Pullrite Superglide for many years on my SB and loved it...

I just place the B&W Companion, OEM Puck system into my new truck, I have not used it yet, but hear nothing but compliments about it on all social media and online forums . . .

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

allen8106 wrote:

Thoughts?

I wouldn't be welding on a kingpin or a hitch, just wouldn't want that heat. Although it would be pretty minimual , but just don't like the idea of welding on them . MorRyde pin box would be my choice, and there are a lot of good hitches out there . B&W is a good hitch .

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't worry arout the kingpin groove, just make sure there aren't any burrs. The hitch you are considering will have 1" thick jaws and will wrap right around that groove.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I'm considering a B&W Companion from my local RV parts shop for $1,045 + tax."

That's basically the going price. Get er DUN!!! Not a better standard hitch out there.

TrailAir makes some nice pin boxes.

"Flex Air drastically reduces chucking, absorbs road shock, and minimizes bounce. The internal air bag and built-in strut work with the rubberized pivoting head to achieve a dramatically smoother ride. Replaces Lippert 1621 pin boxes."

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"and there are a lot of good hitches out there . B&W is a good hitch"

[emoticon]

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Between what you've been told about welding and Reese, I'd trust Reese.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are going to replace the pin box, replace it with an air ride pin box, either 5th Airborne or Trailair.
Lots of very good hitches. I prefer the type with the wrap around jaw that encircles the pin. I have a Reese Elite that works great. Pullrite also has one.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Since you are going to replace the pin box, replace it with an air ride pin box, either 5th Airborne or Trailair.
Lots of very good hitches. I prefer the type with the wrap around jaw that encircles the pin. I have a Reese Elite that works great. Pullrite also has one.

I assume you have not owned a B&W with 1" thick machined jaws that fully close around the kingpin???

Look at the geometry of the 5th airborne and the TrailAir. TA is a more up and down motion, 5th is an angular motion.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch and Pin Box Replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.