Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I-40 traverse from Asheville, NC to Gatlinburg, Tn
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I-40 traverse from Asheville, NC to Gatlinburg, Tn

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do the "gorge" every year (sometimes twice) it is a twisty turny road with some up and down. I have a 2500 DMAX and a 39"+ travel Trailer. I follow a truck if he is dong the speed limit. If not I'll pass him and follow the next truck.. These guys do this run daily. It lasts for about 45 minutes then go back to the foot hill thing. Stay back from the guy in front of you as sometimes they need to brake and you will too. It is kinda fun after driving across TX, NM and other not so interesting states. The other thing I forgot was I do this at about 4:30AM in the pitch dark and in early spring when there are still snow storms and such but still with out a hitch (rv humor there). Have fun

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the truckers are not allowed in the left lane for a few miles in the gorge. Sometimes they tend to get clogged up. If the timing is right, we will pull into the rest area, west bound, and check the tires and let these guys go on. These guys are trying to make a living and we are just traveling for pleasure. Let these truckers get on over the road and make it home

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

the truckers are not allowed in the left lane for a few miles in the gorge. Sometimes they tend to get clogged up. If the timing is right, we will pull into the rest area, west bound, and check the tires and let these guys go on. These guys are trying to make a living and we are just traveling for pleasure. Let these truckers get on over the road and make it home

That's what I was saying, you really should use the right lane with them. They will set the pace and it is over the speed limit in spots lower in others.. You can get behind a "newbe" him I will pass and get behind one of the big boys. Like I said at 4am you cannot see those cures and how hard they are in the dark BUT you can follow the truckers taillights as they know.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Concerning your campground selection.
Twin Creek is a nice campground but tight. It is close to downtown Gatlinburg. We have stayed there many times mostly with smaller campers but once in 35 ft MH. Again very tight.
Pine Mtn is very very nice and only a few years old. Has very clean showers and restrooms. Easy to get into and wide roads. Long pull throughs. Is located back off the strip so town hustle and noise is not a problem. It is located on the Gatlinburg end of PigonForge so if you want to go there the drive is only about 6 miles.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I-40 traverse from Asheville, NC to Gatlinburg, Tn
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.