Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Chinese Versus TAIWAN Hand Tools
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Chinese Versus TAIWAN Hand Tools

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
wopachop

lb

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

... from the instructions: Never completely apply twisting force to Happy Ratchet in circumference of recently sharpened Glorious Sunshine saw.
Funny!!! I get a kick out of the Chinese instructions.

K Charles

Connecticut

Senior Member

Joined: 03/06/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Pittsburgh tools are made in both countries. They seem to much better than the average junk made in China. They match up pretty well with Craftsman tools.


And some craftsmen tools are now made in China. Most often you get what you pay for.





jfkmk

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 10/28/2011

View Profile



Posted: 05/01/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Pittsburgh tools are made in both countries. They seem to much better than the average junk made in China. They match up pretty well with Craftsman tools.


And some craftsmen tools are now made in China. Most often you get what you pay for.

Aren’t most Craftsmen tools made in China? I’m not sure there’s been a quality Craftsmen tool made for years now.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 05/01/20 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dunno about Craftsman tools recently, as I still have 90% of the Craftsman hand tools I bought back in the 70's. Used them every day at work.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was using a short Allen with no success on the mandrel set screw. So I tried changing to a high quality German Allen metric hex socket. When the tension broke the Milwaukee hole saw jumped.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Dunno about Craftsman tools recently, as I still have 90% of the Craftsman hand tools I bought back in the 70's. Used them every day at work.


Heck... When we were in our teens, the First Credit Card for everyone was Sears as they would give one to anybody... Get that card, buy tools and build credit...

Yup, my hand tools are Craftsman circa 70's -early 80's . . with a few exceptions.... Like the few snap On's I have from when I worked at the gas station, and drove for AAA...

Back when Craftsman was GOOD.......


Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet


fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 05/01/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

I was using a short Allen with no success on the mandrel set screw. So I tried changing to a high quality German Allen metric hex socket. When the tension broke the Milwaukee hole saw jumped.
Well, I don't mean to bust your chops too much, but probably should have been using a breaker bar and not a ratchet. Ratchets are okay to loosen snug, or slightly tight, but breaker bar should be used for TIGHT. I've seen a few ratchet wrenches fail when they are used instead of a breaker bar, or had a cheater put over the handle.

road-runner

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 05/03/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:



Heck... When we were in our teens, the First Credit Card for everyone was Sears as they would give one to anybody..
They wouldn't give one to me, and I was a Sears employee. The reason for denial was my income was too low. Most of my hand tools are Craftsman from that era, and I did get the employee discount. It was a pretty good discount, something like 40%, though I don't remember exactly.


2009 Fleetwood Icon

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/02/20 01:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was probably exerting ten pounds feet at the time. The mandrel screw is quite small. Down here I do not have the option of finding many types of tools. Mexicans love 1/2" drive e stuff.

Over the last sixty years i have used a lot of hand tools building ten thousand plus alternators

I never encountered an utter failure like this one. My precious set of Unbrako allen wrenches had 4140 tube cheaters but the set was borrowed forever.

jfkmk

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 10/28/2011

View Profile



Posted: 05/02/20 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Dunno about Craftsman tools recently, as I still have 90% of the Craftsman hand tools I bought back in the 70's. Used them every day at work.


Heck... When we were in our teens, the First Credit Card for everyone was Sears as they would give one to anybody... Get that card, buy tools and build credit...

Yup, my hand tools are Craftsman circa 70's -early 80's . . with a few exceptions.... Like the few snap On's I have from when I worked at the gas station, and drove for AAA...

Back when Craftsman was GOOD.......

Sears was my first credit card as well, got it in 1978. I did the same as you, bought a few tools paid it off and built credit. I still have most of my Craftsmen tools from the era and they still work great.

Anything Craftsmen tools bought after the mid 90s turned out to be junk, and they got worse and worse. I wouldn’t touch a Craftsmen tool now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Chinese Versus TAIWAN Hand Tools
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.