Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Chinese Versus TAIWAN Hand Tools
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Chinese Versus TAIWAN Hand Tools

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Back then the store was commonly called "Monkey Wards"

Sears, original Die Hard batteries on the west coast were made by GLOBE UNION In Oregon. They were IMHO excellent.

Because my family is a thousand miles distant I have to do my own shopping and public exposure. Even with all my protective gear I figure I have as much as a 50-50 chance of making it through August. Too many negatives to believe I will survive contaigion. Been a good ride [emoticon]

I got a circular saw from Monkey Wards, a rolling tool box and a lawn mower that wouldn't die, (I finally gave it a mercy killing) and lots other stuff. Only reason I bought tools from them is the carried work pants I liked and they were closer than Sears.

I too am in a very high risk group, and when I go hope to see you on the otherside. You have a lot of information I would like to learn from you.

I can't punch out yet. We took on our 14 year grandson in mid-December, good news is he is making good progress, thanks to the DW, but some days...he tries out patience.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dad passed along Plumb tools. They never broke and I never found out what a 25/32 was used for

New home construction brought the sound of singing crosscut saws. Now it's total ear protection.

We used to stick pennies into tar top batteries believing the would do something like zincs on a salt water boat.

Pull the choke and step on the starter. Siphon gasoline and unknowingly get a mouth full of tetreethyl lead.

We used to listen to rock and roll parked on a hill so the car would roll start after the battery went flat. Try that now. Hello new battery. Pull into a Flying A and order a dollar's worth of gas.

But tools were lost. They didn't break.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

We used to listen to rock and roll parked on a hill so the car would roll start after the battery went flat. Try that now.
Ive learned so much from you. Are you saying battery construction is different or a joke about automatic transmissions?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Few years back I met the daughter or grand daughter of Plumb Hammers.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/20 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

We used to listen to rock and roll parked on a hill so the car would roll start after the battery went flat. Try that now.

That brought back memories!!

In our area there’s a huge ’swamp’ near our farm, along a big river, it’s not a true swamp, the ground is just too soggy for most of the year, it’s a beautiful forest rich with game. it forms one side of a big military base. As teens the usual summer weekend pastime was bush parties replete with a bonfire.

My friends used to rib me about showing up at the parties on a tractor.

Until they realized how much money I was making bump starting dead trucks and pulling others out of the goo after they’d pulled too far off the trail.

Oh, and when the local constabulary showed up and everybody scattered every single vehicle in the area got stopped, except the tractor, never got stopped once! LOL.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad - that’s good Canada stuff - bush party, tractor, etc

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mex, don't give up hope -- the vaccine may be here sooner than we had thought. Until then, I am hiding in my shop, still using my grandfather's wrenches from before World War II.

Speaking of wrenches, has anyone else noticed that not all wrenches are truly sized the same?? I have some newer open-end wrenches that are marked as 7/16 (for quarter inch bolts) that seem to be "sloppy" -- they are fractionally too loose. Am I dreaming, or is that really true?

I don't have a micrometer to measure the perceived sloppiness.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good tractor story made me smile [emoticon]

I believe the Chinosos and probably others figured put that 11 millimeters "should be close enough" to 7/16" . So they saved money and simply stamp either number atop their wrenches as needed.

I used to use the strongest USA commercial bolt. Supertanium. Made a joke out of other wanna be's like Lamson and sessions L9 and even "cat bolts" which is no mean feat.

Tested the 1/4" Supertaniums with a new Snap On dial torque wrench. FIFTY POUNDS FEET they snapped. Don't even want to think about Chinese bolts ---- how many inch ounces would they tolerate? Yes it is bitter sarcasm.

. Enough of this rant.

No more WORK TODAY LANDFILL TOMORROW krap

* This post was edited 05/03/20 05:10pm by an administrator/moderator *

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

And why was a 4" hole saw in vacinity of work....just asking for an 'encounter' which never bodes well for 'encountie'

thats what I was wondering.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know about China but you can get any level of quality you're willing to pay for in Taiwan. Taiwan is not China, not even close.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Chinese Versus TAIWAN Hand Tools
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.