Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Chinese Versus TAIWAN Hand Tools
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Chinese Versus TAIWAN Hand Tools

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

I have used both and in my opinion the comparison is night and day.

Some stores like Auto Zone carry TAIWAN mechanic's tools

And then there is MEANWELL power supplies versus mainland garbage

Yes I am angry

My hand is bandaged

A mainland ratchet stripped it's brand new teeth and my hand gashed across a 4" hole saw. The ratchet was brand new.

I am going to STRIP every Mainland China hand tool and into the garbage it goes. Don't get smartass about branded tools. I am talking about Made In China unbranded hand tools

I have a Snap On ratchet that broke a tooth but my mother told me to always keep the hole saw at a distance so I wouldn't get hurt. She was right, I just busted my knuckles.[emoticon]

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

I was probably exerting ten pounds feet at the time. The mandrel screw is quite small. Down here I do not have the option of finding many types of tools. Mexicans love 1/2" drive e stuff.

Over the last sixty years i have used a lot of hand tools building ten thousand plus alternators

I never encountered an utter failure like this one. My precious set of Unbrako allen wrenches had 4140 tube cheaters but the set was borrowed forever.
I always shied away from Unbrako wrenches just because of the name. I preferred Allen and Craftsman, plus Bondhus for the angled wrenches. However I have used Unbrako and found the quality first rate, although I felt they were a little soft and sometimes bent. But they never rounded out a bolt.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I share your frustration with lousey tools. But what I'm worried about is how I usually get my older, quality, USA made stuff. Flea markets - Gonna miss them...

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Dunno about Craftsman tools recently, as I still have 90% of the Craftsman hand tools I bought back in the 70's. Used them every day at work.

Heck... When we were in our teens, the First Credit Card for everyone was Sears as they would give one to anybody... Get that card, buy tools and build credit...

Yup, my hand tools are Craftsman circa 70's -early 80's . . with a few exceptions.... Like the few snap On's I have from when I worked at the gas station, and drove for AAA...

Back when Craftsman was GOOD.......

Same here!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The red-headed step child back then was POW R CRAFT

Anyone else remember where they came from?

The strongest tools I have ever used are from WiHa. Ugly to a fault but their fit to a European metric fastener is awesome

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

The red-headed step child back then was POW R CRAFT

Anyone else remember where they came from?

The strongest tools I have ever used are from WiHa. Ugly to a fault but their fit to a European metric fastener is awesome

I think the Pow R Craft was from Montgomery Wards.
Barney

Edit: I was close. Wards Powr-Kraft

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, Mex, I'm just glad to see that you are still in one piece and healthy enough to post! Hang in there, and stay safe.

And back on topic, I am sort of surprised that the Chinese government doesn't have something like OSHA enforcing safety and quality standards. The Chinese are fully aware of the value of "branding" (as well as the costs imposed by bad reputations). And they are a dictatorship, able to strictly quarantine 50 million people at a moment's notice. (We all remember those shocking videos of doors being welded shut in Wuhan during early February.)

So putting those two issues together (marketing savvy and a command economy), why would their government tolerate the continued production of substandard merchandise? I just don't understand it. It is so short-sighted. If I were an absolute dictator of a manufacturing nation, I'd ensure decent quality control.

Otherwise, the country's reputation becomes so bad that consumers of (e.g.) power tools and hand tools will shun Chinese products. That is exactly what is happening now. And the same thing applies to pharmaceuticals. And medical devices. And so on.

There was a time, long ago, when "Made in Japan" was a mark of inferiority. Not any more. China should learn from that example, right??

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back then the store was commonly called "Monkey Wards"

Sears, original Die Hard batteries on the west coast were made by GLOBE UNION In Oregon. They were IMHO excellent.

Because my family is a thousand miles distant I have to do my own shopping and public exposure. Even with all my protective gear I figure I have as much as a 50-50 chance of making it through August. Too many negatives to believe I will survive contaigion. Been a good ride [emoticon]

gtnsmlr

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the early 70s while working at a gas station, the Proto tool truck drove in. I bought the full rollaway, the works. Five years of payments and fifty years later I still have every one... I did wear out a 1/2" deep wall socket though.

The older we get, the faster we go

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Back then the store was commonly called "Monkey Wards"

snip...

Yep, that's what we call it! [emoticon]
Also concur on the Die Hard batteries.
Barney

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Chinese Versus TAIWAN Hand Tools
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.