Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Android vs Apple
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Android vs Apple

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

Apple. It simply works.

And only 5 times the price of an equivalent Android phone...plus they lock you into the apple ecosystem (such as face time is only available for ios...of course there are several other apps that do the same function).

9 out of 10 times when you hear people complain about android they bought the cheapest phone (just picked one up for $20 to act solely as a hot spot, so they can be very cheap)...then compare it to a $900 apple phone and wonder why android is so bad.

If you compare like for like, android is not quirky and can match or beat the equivalent iphone.

So unless you are dead set on using face time or other apple only apps...much easier to go android.

Other stuff like "find my phone" can be found on either.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had Android and other phone os’s and they did a decent job. While IOS does have some issues, the products just work day in day out, upgrades are usually easy to install and models are supported for a few years. As I remember Android allows different manufacturers to customize the OS which can and has created some upgrade issues. When I was a software developer many years ago I appreciated the openness of some software. Now I don’t really care and just want it to power on and do what it’s supposed to do. Apple allows me to see and update all my stuff on all my devices - iPhone, iPad, and when I blow off the cobwebs my PC.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Support for a "few years"? Don't try to connect the i6. It no longer works. Until last year I had an Android s4. It still worked like a charm.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

For the older generation which many of us qualify I would recommend the Iphone.

It has one feature I think is very valuable for the older crowd that allows their children to keep track of them.

That feature is find my phone.

Recently I had a good friend that was involved in a serious traffic

I have 4 different ways to "Find my phone" (Android) though one of 'em are restricted to "Folks like me" Google, Samsung and one app I installed all have find my phone apps (I use the latter one) and though it may be set to approximate there is another app that is constantly reporting my position to a server for which I can give the URL if folks need to know where to find me.. NOTICE the lack of a URL in this post.

So that's not a Unique feature by any means Google and Samsung are native to the phone.. The two apps (one tracks me by number and one by license) I had to install. they are also free.

The Security app can also make the phone kind of loud, I've had to use it a few times when I misplaced the thing.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when my daughter insisted that my wife and I get "smart" phones I got a phone call from daughter who was also looking and asked if I wanted apple or android. the equivalent apple phone came with a second phone of lesser power/stuff and was $100 more than android.
so I could spend $100 more and get less. [emoticon]
bumpy

wiskeyVI

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer the simplicity of Android.
I've tried Apple and Android.
Apple always seemed to need a step or to more to accomplish the same task as it would on an Android.....That being said, the latest Android update has seemed to add extra steps now, to a few processes. Just enough to annoy me and reminded why I went android.
If my iPhone 8 wasn't so glitchy with disconnecting the hotspot, and the lack of tether for service to another device, it would almost be worth going back.

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to tinker with the devices so Android would be the more likely route but we went the iPhone route years ago since they had the better camera at the time. The iPhone has been very reliable and has done everything we wanted including tethering our laptop, acting as a hotspot, working with our cell phone booster in remote areas, and doing wi-fi calling in remote areas with wi-fi but no cell signal.

The security is good on iPhones and one report a few years ago said 97% of mobile phone malware was in the Android eco-system.

The downside of iPhone is the O/S sometimes lacks the options I am looking for, for example I run in low-power battery mode all the time for max battery life, and the option shuts off at 80% charge with no way to permanently enable it. So have to keep re-enabling it. ITunes is useless also. I have all my own CD collection and have converted them to 320 kbit MP3s but the only way to get them in the phone is via the iTunes program. Drag and drop would be much easier like on Android.

No external mini-SD card expansion slot is a huge disadvantage of iPhones also. As is their proprietary lightning connector versus USB-C.

About 2/3 of friends and family are on iPhones

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

RCMAN46 wrote:

It has one feature I think is very valuable for the older crowd that allows their children to keep track of them.

That feature is find my phone. .

a good reason to get android.
bumpy

A similar feature is readily available for Android as well. My wife and I can track each other as needed. It is user controllable though...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

I was a Android fan for years until I got my hearing aids. I switched to Apple iPhone as they would connect directly to my hearing aids. Between my wife and I we now own a Apple device of orchard.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can live with an older generation iPhone check with your local AT&T for promotions. About 2 years ago they had the iPhone 6S, which can do everything I need it to do for $125. The catch was I had to sign up for their streaming service for one month. But I didn't have to pay for one month. The salesman said "just cancel the service when you get home ". Which I did. They probably have a similar promotion now and if you don't need the latest and greatest it works great. On the other hand if you require the latest phone you're gonna have to pay big bucks, something I refuse to do for any phone. Only downside is it won't be able to get 5G. But who knows when that's gonna happen in our area.

As to which better, it's a matter of taste. We have Apple, or friends have Android and everybody's happy.

Heck my daughter has one of those inexpensive Google phones and really
likes it!

* This post was edited 05/04/20 04:34pm by Ron3rd *

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Android vs Apple
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.