Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Solar trickle charger fail!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Solar trickle charger fail!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

Many of us have discharged a battery till it was dead , and then only got another 3 or 4 years out of them . I would not replace that batt with out giving it an honest trial .

Really depends, you can get away with most anything if you really don't mind the lights going out before you want them to or the furnace shutting down in the middle of a cold night or say the water pump and lights in the middle of your nice hot bath.

In a auto, you might be able to get away with a weakened damaged battery for a while in good warm weather but come a cold zero day and you will come up with blanks on starting.

At 9.6V that battery is well below ever being fully recovered, if you could get a charger on it immediately it most likely would recover SOME, but would it be enough to camp on for a an hr, a day, a weekend, or so? At 10.5V the battery starts heavily sulfating of the plates, it is near impossible to reverse this effect and ever minute it is left at that state reduces the hopes of recovery and capacity.

If it is standard Group24 or Group 27, they are dirt cheap to replace, $60 for a group24 and what maybe $70 for a group 27.. That isn't going to break anyone's bank to make the system whole again..

Once the battery has been replaced the OP should be able to get 9, 10, 11, 12 yrs if treated properly. THEN TREAT IT BETTER by making sure the battery is being charged or the battery is disconnected from the RV when being stored! In other words, don't do what you did before!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your 10 watt panel going through a controller? If so at the best you get a bit less than one amp and if you have a big battery in an RV parasitic loads and self discharge can be more than that.

Also unless there is some kind of reverse current protection (There is in the charge controller) the 10 watt panel takes 'em down in the dark.

The bigger panel likely was used with a charge controller. possibly an MPPT (Maximum Power Point Transfer) these are DC/DC converters that swap volts for amps so you get the maximum power from your panels. they also contain reverse current protection So at night. they "Vanish" electronically

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

Many of us have discharged a battery till it was dead , and then only got another 3 or 4 years out of them . I would not replace that batt with out giving it an honest trial .

Yeah, I want to test and observe first.

And it appears to be charging ok -- so far.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Is your 10 watt panel going through a controller? If so at the best you get a bit less than one amp and if you have a big battery in an RV parasitic loads and self discharge can be more than that.

Also unless there is some kind of reverse current protection (There is in the charge controller) the 10 watt panel takes 'em down in the dark.

The bigger panel likely was used with a charge controller. possibly an MPPT (Maximum Power Point Transfer) these are DC/DC converters that swap volts for amps so you get the maximum power from your panels. they also contain reverse current protection So at night. they "Vanish" electronically

The 10W trickle charger is not going to a controller.

The 100W is.

So, do I get it that the rate of discharge from phantom drain from the RV is higher than my rate of charging on the 10W solar trickle charger?

Again, thanks everyone for the information. I'm buying a battery disconnect switch.

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I disconnect the batteries for the winter, check voltage about once a month, until the 100 watt solar panel is clear of snow. It doesn’t charge fast but does well over a whole sunny day. Being in a cold winter region, I bought a smart charger, Black & Decker 5, 10 and 20 amp maximum settings. It goes up to 16 volts so I usually disconnect vehicle batteries while charging. An hour or two fully charges a battery from a very low state on the 20 amp setting.

I have used trickle chargers but they are frustrating. Better to disconnect the battery until you can use a real charger.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 10 watt solar maintainer is not a waste of time, but there are some caveats.

* For optimal results, disconnect the batteries from everything except the maintainer.
* Batteries must be in good shape to begin with.
* Batteries must be fully charged to begin with. That 10w is a maintainer, not a charger. It isn't enough to do more than maintain.

I use one of these on my truck, just plugged into the cigar lighter. If I don't start my truck for a couple of weeks, this keeps my batteries fresh for the next start. Diesel truck so dual batteries just like your trailer. Worse than that, the thing sits on my dash, pointing west, so it only gets direct sun in the afternoon, and through a windshield. This works for me, even during the So Cal winter months when it might be cloudy for hours at a time [emoticon] But it is much better during the other 3 months.

So I don't think your solar maintainer was a fail, but I do think your batteries are toast.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

So, do I get it that the rate of discharge from phantom drain from the RV is higher than my rate of charging on the 10W solar trickle charger?

Again, thanks everyone for the information. I'm buying a battery disconnect switch.
Yes probably 100 +- milliamp draw 24/7. You might get 400 milliamps for 6 hours a day from the panel. Break even at best.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Yes probably 100 +- milliamp draw 24/7. You might get 400 milliamps for 6 hours a day from the panel. Break even at best.

Ordered a battery switch. I detached the negative cable meanwhile putting my RV back to storage while on full charge. Will check back the voltage after a week or so.

Will that mean that my battery went bad if I get a large drop in voltage again?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pop over mid afternoon on a sunny day and check for 14+ volts.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Pop over mid afternoon on a sunny day and check for 14+ volts.

Thanks a lot!

Hoping still it's not an expensive lessons.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Solar trickle charger fail!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.