Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck camper battery, or lack thereof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck camper battery, or lack thereof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the old campers did not have a house battery. They had a converter that you plugged into shore power that gave you 12v or you could pull from the truck enough to power a few lights.

Was not very efficient! Also was not designed for running lights for a long time or many at once.

My 92 NL was that way, found a spot to put a battery but you could not use the converter to charge it as all it did was make 12v and did not care about how charged up a battery was. I pulled the old 12v converter and put in a unit that would charge the battery properly. Worked great!!

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

xscoobysnack wrote:

Is it possible that it was designed to leech off the truck battery at all times? Thanks.

That's how our first TC was. No battery compartment and the light only worked when the camper was attached to the truck. There was no other 12v devices aside from the single light and it had a propane lantern inside so you really didn't need electric at all for light, cooking and the small propane ice box.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My neighbor's Palomino popup doesn't have batteries, but he keeps a battery in front of each fender in the truck bed that he plugs in when he loads the camper.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of truck? The +12 volt pin on the seven way plug is typically switched so that it’s only energized when the engine is running, and seems like some makes don’t have the fuse installed in the truck from the factory, so you won’t get 12 volts till you put the fuse in.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

xscoobysnack

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2010 F350 diesel. I'll have to experiment a bit but I'm not expecting to find a battery now and you're probably right about the pin being switched so that it is live when the truck is running. If I confirm that is the case, I'll just switch out the converter and throw a battery somewhere, maybe in the shower. [emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, on a 2010 Ford, the +12 volt pin is switched, and the fuse or relay for that circuit should have been installed at the factory. I’ve never had to do anything on a Ford truck to get power to that pin.

Your F350 should be like the 2010 F450 I used to have, and the fuse/relay will be in the box under the hood on the driver side. Have fun getting the lid off [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

Many of the old campers did not have a house battery. They had a converter that you plugged into shore power that gave you 12v or you could pull from the truck enough to power a few lights.

Was not very efficient! Also was not designed for running lights for a long time or many at once.

My 92 NL was that way, found a spot to put a battery but you could not use the converter to charge it as all it did was make 12v and did not care about how charged up a battery was. I pulled the old 12v converter and put in a unit that would charge the battery properly. Worked great!!

Older converters would supply 12V AC for the lights and might have small DC circuit, like 3 amp for radio and battery charging.

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Older converters would supply 12V AC for the lights and might have small DC circuit, like 3 amp for radio and battery charging.

Never had a battery so never was designed for charging one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck camper battery, or lack thereof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.