Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tabletop LPG Barbecue Grilles Anything To Be Wary About?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tabletop LPG Barbecue Grilles Anything To Be Wary About?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Down here very little choice
Electric
Gas
Carbón but not presnado.

Means impressed twigs and chunks of charcoal. Easy to light the hotter than. Hell for maybe 15 minutes then a mass die out. Kingsford is unknown. In Michoacan I have large stack of guisache. Big fire, then a die down with bricks and metal heated. Forearm thick branches to maintain temp feeding a bit at a time.

Shovel and bucket to take ashes. Here in a city I have none of that luxury.

red31

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Regulator works at 11" water column?

yes

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/20 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weber Q200, for more than 10 years now. Use it every week.
Love it.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love our Weber Q 1000! Have had it for several years and are not fussy about its upkeep - still no problems! As far as cooking on it - remember, it's not like the really great one on your back deck at home! It's much too small for beer can chicken, for instance. Haven't found a table top with a closable top high enough for that. It is not nearly as easy to adjust the amount of heat or flame you will get. Cannot change how close the grate is to the source of the heat, for instance. Also cannot do 'indirect cooking' on our Q. Either the whole thing is on, or its off. No side to side or front to back options - only one control. There is a top and bottom cooking surface, (which is typical) but the top is much smaller than the bottom and is useful only for keeping something warm while the rest finishes. Like many, we use either the 1' disposable gas canisters or travel with a 20' tank we use with an adaptor.
it's not perfect, none of the table top ones are, but wouldn't go out without it! Just a suggestion. If the one you decide on does not come with a cast iron or heavy steel griddle, get one! Great way to keep the RV cooler in the summer by doing breakfast outside!

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For worse or worser I had to settle for a Costco grille. Walmart wanted $200+ dollars for a lesser unit. I can wait until the 12th of never but at $8.00 lb the filet migñon could not wait. This was cut with a fork lean. I have never had better. Have no idea what it costs in the US. New York steak cost $4.10 pound. Every bit as USA Costco meat.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Down here very little choice
Electric
Gas
Carbón but not presnado.

Means impressed twigs and chunks of charcoal. Easy to light the hotter than. Hell for maybe 15 minutes then a mass die out. Kingsford is unknown. In Michoacan I have large stack of guisache. Big fire, then a die down with bricks and metal heated. Forearm thick branches to maintain temp feeding a bit at a time.

Shovel and bucket to take ashes. Here in a city I have none of that luxury.

I will toss you a different solution..

How about a propane upright smoker?

[image]

$160 HERE

Basically works just like an oven, can be used with or without adding wood smoke, but you can add in wood chips or use an "A-maz-n" pellet accessory for added smoke flavor using foodsafe smoker pellets (no glues or artificial binders)..

They make several tubes which can lay on a heavy smoke..

[image]

Or their "Maze"..

[image]

The upright smokers might be the ticket for cooking duck they typically have 4 shelves, bottom shelf you can put a disposable aluminum pan to catch the grease and you can use the other shelves for your meat.

I have an electric Masterbuilt and love it, use it for smoked pork ribs, pork loin (makes a nice lean pulled pork), pork shoulder (traditional pulled pork), smoked chicken (love using leg quarters).

The electric version also has insulation which helps save energy and for me allows for usage in colder weather, not sure about gas fired though.

Also have done what is known as the "mailbox mod" which is an external chamber for the smoke generator (tube or maze) typically made from a mailbox and is connected via 3" flexible pipe. This allows the smoke to mellow for a less harsh smoke taste. Mailbox mod also allows me to do some cold smoking like cheese, double smoked bacon, double smoked ham.

The downside of the Masterbuilt electric smoker is it is limited to 275 max temp which does not crisp chicken skin and some folks have had failures with Electric Masterbuilt smokers.. Some folks have heavily modified the Masterbuilts with external temp controller and 1200W heating elements which allows them to run a bit higher temp.

For more smoking information than you can handle you can check out SMOKINGMEATFORUMS.COM

For your salt environment, you might want to look at a stainless smoker if you can find one but options may be limited.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no such thing as truly stainless steel and that goes multiple if the temps hit 500+ degrees.

One caution I will give (Applies to some coleman models like my table SIDE (not top) Road trip) is how much heat they produce. Road trip's are, in my not very humble opinion, a tad anemic in the BTU department.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the Weber baby Q for going on 20 years. Replace the burner every 3 years and never had a problem. I converted it by removing the regulator so I can hook to trailer LP. Aluminum doesn't rust either. I use it just about every day when we camp or stay at our RV park for the winter.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/20 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

For worse or worser I had to settle for a Costco grille. Walmart wanted $200+ dollars for a lesser unit. I can wait until the 12th of never but at $8.00 lb the filet migñon could not wait. This was cut with a fork lean. I have never had better. Have no idea what it costs in the US. New York steak cost $4.10 pound. Every bit as USA Costco meat.
Wow! This morning at local butcher shop filet was $20.00 lb.

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally beef in Mexico has GOODYEAR branded into it. This stuff is/was top grade USDA PRIME grade. Ruth's Criss grade.

The manager at Costco said a new price is coming with the grille re order.

Gasoline $1.24 gallon ut 15 cents higher for diesel.

The government declared beer as non-essential. Breweries closed. Smuggling across border at a 200% to 400% premium.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tabletop LPG Barbecue Grilles Anything To Be Wary About?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.