Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How inconvenient is a cargo trailer?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How inconvenient is a cargo trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a single axle trailer I have both a pad and a wheel for use under the jack. If I ever need to get out of a tight spot I put the wheel on and spin the trailer around where it sits. If it's every too hard to move by hand I can use a rope from the truck to help drag it around. I've only used the wheel a couple times when intentionally pulling into a relatively tight primitive camp spot. Spinning the trailer before reconnecting was easier than backing out.

As others mentioned, the tongue works OK to step on plus the camper door is not in the center so the Little Jumbo ladder we normally use works right along side the tongue.

With our family of 5 including chairs, bikes, firewood, etc. a trailer is a must. We put anything and everything bulky or heavy in the trailer that would otherwise have to be handled by the poor truck.

Leaving it behind would mean getting permission from wherever you plan to leave it and locking the tongue. If it's not too sketchy of a place I wouldn't worry too much.

Trifarious

Zurich, Switzerland

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you need an obd2 scanner, you can check the innova on the market. Because Innova electronics corporation is one of the leading scan tool brands on the market and is known for its innovative, accurate, and reliable diagnostic scanners. So what re you waiting for?

* This post was edited 05/17/20 11:17pm by Trifarious *

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran with one. in fact I have a 7x14 dual axle and a 5x8 single axle.
I used to carry a motorcycle in it.
The dual axle is easier to backup.
the 7x14 is taller and I don't bang my head inside it.
the 7/14 has a ramp tailgate.
we can use the 7/14 as a covered patio on rainy days.
it is nice to have the space for moving stuff enclosed in the trailer.
I also ran 2 backup cameras, one on roof of Truck camper, one on roof of trailer.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an arctic fox camper with the fox landing. Works perfect with my 20 ft cargo trailer. Easy access to the trailer and I don't even need to disconnect at the camp site if its a pull through. Tows nice, but as with any towing situation, planning at the fuel stops is necessary work. I have a diesel, so I just go for the truck lanes most of the time.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a side entrance so the trailer doesn't affect getting in and out. I intentionally sought out a side entrance for this reason. That said, I pull a 24' enclosed. Not to campgrounds, but to the race track. I have yet to have an issue getting fuel, finding a place to park, etc. Probably helps I've been doing this for years before I had the camper, but it's simply a non-issue for me as this combo has been my long term goal all along.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just like every RV setup, each unique setup is a compromise.
IMO, towing, parking, access to the camper, backing, camping with a utility trailer is relatively easy IF you have a need for the extra stuff/toys.
The most difficult issue is where to leave the trailer when you need or want to run bobtail. I've only rarely left trailers somewhere "on the road" but have made one off arrangements ahead of time. I'd consider having to haul it with you the vast majority of the time.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

iwanttoretireearly

Berkeley

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Ok so it seems like most people can get to campgrounds in NPS just fine and have the option of disconnecting it.

What if you want to go to an off-roading campground? Where can you leave a trailer?

Ranger Tim

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to off road leave the trailer at home. If you are on an extended journey leave it at a self storage with good security. Some parks have areas for trailer storage. Hitch lock is a no brainer. I carry telescopes/atv/generator/ prospecting gear, etc. It caters to our whims. I am currently moving up from a 5X8 to a 6X12 and want all aluminum with torsion suspension. The truck handles the trailer/camper combo well, it even drives with a bit more stability with it. We have a Fox Landing and use an 18 inch extension. Still under my GCVW!

Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

Boondocking2019

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 16’ Enclosed Cargo Trailer to haul our Polaris General UTV. UTV centered over the dual axles to keep as much weight off the tongue. No issues at all backing this Cargo Trailer and it tows very well.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

I don't tow a cargo trailer but I do tow my ATV trailer.
My 34" hitch extension is what limits my off-road-ability.
I can still get back in far enough that I'm away from other people.
With my ATV, extra FW, propane, gasoline and firewood my trailer only weighs about 1500 lbs.

The only issue is parking in a city and that's really not a problem. And I don't do NPs.

Trailers are a convenience not an inconvenience. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How inconvenient is a cargo trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.