Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Keystone Slidewall Structual damage issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Keystone Slidewall Structual damage issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
jenjen77

Northwest Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a brand new 2016 Keystone Bullet 287 QBS, off of the manufacturer floor through a local dealer, in 2016. We loved the trailer and the trailer layout. We got it home and the electrical issues started. The battery hookups were on wrong, we weren't getting any power. Than about a year and a half later, our slide started acting up. We brought it back to the dealer for it be fixed and had to replace the entire slide motor. It wasn't even 2 years old. We have warranty forever and we bring it to our dealer once a year for maintenance, we had more electrical issues, but more slide issues as well. The slide stopped going in..it would go out but wouldn't go in. The dealer claimed they fixed it and they did , but a few months later it started acting up again. Which brings us to last weekend. We brought it for our annual inspection since we are getting ready to leave out of town for a month with our camper. The slide had been JUMPING everytime we put it in and out. So bad that I felt like it was just going to break. Anyways, the dealer called us back and said that the wall had a complete structural failure and was falling apart.

They tried to get a hold of keystone about it and they told us too bad, so sad, OF COURSE. I wasn't expecting them to care, but I thought maybe since we have had slide problems that is well documented by the dealer that they may think twice about at least taking a look. Well, the dealer said we had some tree marks on our roof and wanted us to claim our insurance on it, and with that they are going to replace our entire roof, along with adding wood supports on the roof. They also, want to add angles in the slidewall to "fix" the problem of the structural damage. I don't know if I feel safe or satisfied with that. Do you think that is appropriate to do in this instance?? We really are debating on trading it in for a Grand Design of some sort, we have had nothing but issues! Thanks, and so sorry for the long post.

I added pictures in the link below

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/19706g

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t have the answer, but I feel for you. That situation s ucks.
Likely slide issues related to structural problem allowing and fatigue made it as bad as it is now. (Something an astute dealer or owner may have been able to catch earlier?)
As you don’t sound like folks who can take on a camper remodel yourself, I’d be diligent about what minimum repairs you put into it. IE is the roof really damaged and to what extent. Maybe not worth an insurance claim.
Then see what you can get for it. If you can sell for more privately than trade, do it. And move on unfortunately.
Best of luck!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Camper8251

Big Sky Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the purpose of warranty forever?

What kind of tree marks are on the roof? Is the roof damaged?

What kind of reviews are there for this dealer? Are they capable of repairing it to a satisfactory condition?

Sounds like they are passing the buck......If you claim on insurance that will go against you and at some point it may cause your rates to go up...

I would call keystone personally and talk to someone....

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What exactyl does the warranty state is/is not covered? Who exactly is the warranty with?

I'll play the devils advocate and speculate there is no roof damage and your warranty is with the dealer with the purpose of salesman chatter.

There are VERY FEW dealers I would trust fixing the kind of damage your pictures show.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ooof. That's pretty bad. I'd consider filing a claim as well, if you can also see indication of damage from a tree. They might just write off the trailer. Aside from that, trading it out is probably the best option.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

jenjen77

Northwest Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 05/06/20 11:38am by jenjen77 *

jenjen77

Northwest Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

What exactyl does the warranty state is/is not covered? Who exactly is the warranty with?

I'll play the devils advocate and speculate there is no roof damage and your warranty is with the dealer with the purpose of salesman chatter.

There are VERY FEW dealers I would trust fixing the kind of damage your pictures show.

Warranty "forever" is you go to the dealer once a year for them to inspect your trailer and then they cover things like "brakes, appliances, seals" things like that. I mean honestly, I don't mind getting and paying for the trailer to be inspected once a year anyway, even if we didn't have warranty forever. Warranty forever does NOT cover the slide. We truly believe that the slide was fixed wrong the first time we brought it in and now they are trying to cover their tracks. They had us file insurance on it, so that they can fix the roof (i just got the estimate its 7500 dollars of repairs) and get into the wall, which they state they are covering for free..and they are going to pay our deductible, which honestly, I rather pay the deductible than file any type of insurance on it.

Our deal is Dixie RV, which there are a few of those dealers in this region and for the most part, they have good service. Here is a link to the warranty forever program.. http://rvwarrantyforever.com/ ..

I'm hoping I may be able to convince my husband to ditch this trailer, make them give us a deal to trade it in.. I want to upgrade to a 5th wheel and this is just going to be even worse on our insurance rates for when it comes time.. ugh. and we have YET to even see the "roof" scrapes he is having us claim the insurance on.

We are getting ready to leave for month to Yellowstone with this camper in June. I'm not feeling very confident about it in the least.. :/

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even if you opt to have it fixed, you might be waiting weeks to months for replacement slide system parts, as the RV parts supply chain is currently disrupted, and it may be a while to catch back up. My trailer is currently parked waiting on some LCI parts for its slide-out, with no ETA.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you actually hit a tree or is the dealer 'suggesting' you did so you can turn this over to your insurance company? If it's the latter, I'd suggest not doing so as it will most likely come back and bite you in the butt. Best bet is to gather ALL your records, and I mean everything and contact Keystone. If it truly is structure failure which it appears it is, then I would think they would want to work with you in fixing/replacing it. Remember it is 4 years old now so be smart in your negotiations. Your trade in value will suffer with that kind of issue. Best of luck....I added a clicky below for your pix...Dennis

PICTURES

* This post was edited 05/06/20 12:50pm by Executive *

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a scam to get the insurance to pay.

Plus they DON'T KNOW the extent of they problem until it's open, so $7500 might be a down payment.

My 2 cents: If there is no roof damage there could be some when the adjustor arrives for the insurance inspection.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Keystone Slidewall Structual damage issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.