Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What to look for when inspecting a used TT for purchase
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What to look for when inspecting a used TT for purchase

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a new ones have problems (I have to return to the dealership shop 3 times), how much more a used ones.

And remember, the materials used into building them are flimsy and not the best quality with big compromise in weight and cost.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another sign of possible water damage - soft spots in the floor. Walk around every place you can possibly put a foot and see if there's any feel of the floor being soft. You'll know it when you feel it.

If it has fiberglass siding outside, look carefully for delamination; separation of the fiberglass from the structure of the trailer. These can be very obvious, or very subtle. Sometimes you have to look at just the right angle to see it. Some people won't mind a little. Others won't touch any trailer showing any signs. This could be a sign of water damage, or extreme sun exposure of the surface area.

Water pump. Check to make sure it's working correctly, and how loud it is. Is it making a lot of noise but little water coming out? Is it generally noisier than it should be? Might need some service.

How easily does the refrigerator come on, electric or propane? If on propane, does it light right away? Make sure there's good fuel in the line for the stove/oven as well, prior to checking the fridge. Just turning on the tanks and immediately trying to light the fridge could be frustrating. Is it a Dometic or a Norcold? In my experience, Dometics seem to be more user friendly AT ELEVATION, ie, easier to light. Norcolds sometimes have a disclaimer that they don't work well above 5000 feet. If that's important to you, keep that in mind. If you're never going to travel to the West, that could be a moot point.

Check for leaks around the toilet. They can be very small and subtle, might not see one right away. Flush several times, or let the water run for fill up for a bit, to see if there's a leak. If there is, trying to get at it for repairs can be a BEAR of problem, depending on the toilet position. Voice of experience.

Just some of the specifics that should be included on a PDI.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

264SRinPA

northeast Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, water leaks. Do yourself a favor and spend $25-$30 for a moisture meter. It can find moisture problems thru the walls, the floor and ceiling that you can't see with your eyes.

mjptorrent

Buffalo

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again everyone. The inspection was over in 2 minutes. I'm 6'4" , and I couldn't stand up inside. That was a deal breaker right there. Wife and I have decided to buy new. I'll use all this info including the PDI when we pick up. Many thanks to all of you.

Mike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What to look for when inspecting a used TT for purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.