Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tow Vehicle Advice For Newbie
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Vehicle Advice For Newbie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
K-9 HANDLER

Maryland's Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given your needs and u wont have to commute I'd vote for the 250 if u can swing it. Check religiously locally online for non commerically used ones. Look at the history of it and where it was used thru any service record history. It you are going for Ford obtain the OASIS report for the vehicle. It will show any warranty repairs. Since its sounds like you wont put many miles on it should last you a long time.
I stepped up to an Excursion to tow my 7-8K bunkhouse in 2003. Like you I dont use it to commute. Nearly 20 years later we still own it. My kids have grew up in it. No plans to sell it family wouldnt hear of it anyway, lo..
Good luck and keep us posted.

Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVdreaming2020 wrote:

Lots of awesome replies. Thanks all! So I've been looking around for f250's. I'm not sure I;; be able to stretch my budget up that far. In my area it's looking like the used ones fall in 37k range. I was already stretching a bit to spend 30k. I'll keep looking around to see what I can find.

I found my first 3/4 ton truck from a guy that specializes in used work trucks. He buys them from MT or WY and resells them. In 2007 we found a 2001 GM WT with just over 100K miles. It was $12K, 8.1 Liter with the Alison Transmission. We bought it only to tow and a "farm" truck. Sold it in 2014 with 118K miles - got $10K for it on a trade in. So, don't be afraid of a late model used truck with high miles. Since it is not a daily driver, you are not going to put a lot of miles on it. By the time you want to sell it the miles won't be high. I probably would not go Diesel, but wouldn't stay away from one if the price is right. Guys that put lots of miles on trucks in a short amount of time typically service them regularly and take decent care of them. I have a leased SUV now, I drive 30K miles a year and service it regularly, its part of the corporate lease program.

You don't have to spend $30K to find a nice 3/4 ton truck. It's not a daily driver so it just has to be reliable.

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dirt bikes are HEAVY.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Dirt bikes are HEAVY.

Compared to bicycles? Yup

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Benny1796

South east

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m new to the RV world and me and the wife are looking for a toy hauler my truck being a 2013 GMC Sierra has all the towing packages and upgrades allowing me to tow up to 9600lbs I know I shouldn’t max out the capacity on the truck so what do you y’all think I should stay around for trailer weight?? Any help would be great

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Benny1796 wrote:

I’m new to the RV world and me and the wife are looking for a toy hauler my truck being a 2013 GMC Sierra has all the towing packages and upgrades allowing me to tow up to 9600lbs I know I shouldn’t max out the capacity on the truck so what do you y’all think I should stay around for trailer weight?? Any help would be great

You need to not use brochure numbers, like 9600lbs. That's a marketing number for a perfectly spec'd truck, usually a regular cab 2 wheel drive drive truck. You need to post engine size, 4x2 or 4x4, cab size, bed size, rear end ratio, HD factory tow package or basic tow package.
Also payload cap from the driver's door yellow sticker.
Payload Capacity is a way more important number, than the Towing Capacity number.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Benny1796 wrote:

Im not the weight cops, and 2013 model 1/2 ton presumably with trailer package, 5.3, I'd stay at 8klbs or less, honestly. 6 speed helps but it's not a powerhouse.
If 6.2, then it'll have more snort.
However I'm not a big fan of toy haulers and half tons becasue they're so **** nose heavy generally, until you max out the toy box.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Benny1796 wrote:

You should really start your own thread to ask this. Totally different information needed and it is considered poor etiquette to hijack someone’s thread.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tow haulers are heavy. Depending upon where the garage puts the weight, the tongue weight can vary quite a bit. You'll need to know your numbers pretty well and calculate expected tongue weights (empty and loaded) and determine if your truck can handle it. The problem with half tons is pretty low tongue weight... not the advertised max tow weight.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always had a ford for work (company truck) and a GMC for play. Fords always were far less comfortable then the GMC or Chevy. That was back a few years and today I am sure if new most are better. I agree with all that a 250 will be your friend and start with an adequate trailer but not the largest on the lot. Oh I never have had a 5er and for the last several years I do a GMC Dmax and a 40' Travel trailer and have been there , done that all over the US in all weather conditions............ jus saying.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow Vehicle Advice For Newbie
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.