Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Leveling Blocks vs jack pads
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Leveling Blocks vs jack pads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upgrading to a larger RV with leveling jacks this time. We carried with us leveling blocks like this.
Can I use these blocks as jack pads? Will they hold up? If not how about pads made from a 2x10? need some advice please.
thanks

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes if they're Lynx brand. If they're the cheap Camco knockoff blocks they'll probably collapse like my buddy's did. Yello Lynx, you're good to go.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say give them a try. You already have them.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't, they are too stiff to keep from cracking with the weight. They work great for tire blocks due to the softness of the rubber, but the metal jack stands are really hard on them. If you stack them 3 or 4 high, they work okay.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ha, reminds me of a time when we are in camp. A new neighbor comes in next door behind us, so we don't actually see him... We hear this cracking and breaking plastic sound.. Then hear his RV (Class C) move and then it revving up again and the same cracking and breaking sound..

I get up and go around my rig and see he has now broken a couple sets of those Lego blocks while trying to get the FRONT axle on them..

I tell him I have a couple of 2x6 boards for leveling and can let him use them to level out... He thanks me and takes them and bingo... He levels out just fine. He asks how long we are staying and I say we were going to leave the next morning so don't worry about them.. I can make more from my scrape wood pile..

He thanks me and we yak for a few more minutes than we go on with our day and all well...

I'll carry the extra weight of the wood... Not a big deal to me at all and can replace pretty easy..

Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a lot of experience with the Lego blocks, but 2x10s work although they don't last long before splitting.
Plywood works great, albeit you don't get much height out of a piece. But you can carry a bunch of squares. 1 - $35 sheet of BB or MDO form ply will make ya 32 blocks.
If you come across a chunk of 1-1/8" form ply even better but that stuff ain't cheap to buy.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/20 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took a 4' X 8' sheet of 3/4" exterior plywood and cut it into 16" X 16" squares. Glued and stapled 16 of them together to make 8 1-1/2" thick pads. Kept the last 2 squares to use as 3/4" pads. No issues with using them with my coach 20K+, and have loaned them to friends with 35K+ DPs with no problems. Painted them with Rustoleum and the look great except for some scratches and rock dings.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 04:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had used both wood and lego type blocks for my jack pads over the years. I had no real problem with either until last year parked on grass.

I was using the yellow leveling/jack pads to give a larger foot print for the jacks. Well it rained and the soil started to give way to not only mine but a lot of other rigs. The yellow pads just did not provide enough of a foot print or strength (three broke) to do the job.

So got home did some research and ended up with these:

https://www.outriggerpads.com/for-rvs/

Am really happy with them.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use PT 2 X 10 pads, cut 12 inches long.
Went to Lowes, grabbed a PT 2X10, went to the back, had them cut it into 8, 12 inch pieces. Total cost was something like $9. Cutting was free.

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another lumber user here. You can buy an awful lot of 2X10 boards for the price of the lego blocks.

Always look for less than build quality warped boards for an even better price & cut to length for two wheels a little twist does not matter anyway.

Boards are also useful if you ever get stuck & when they eventually split & need replacing they make good firewood & wont end up as landfill for the next 300 years.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Leveling Blocks vs jack pads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.