Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Leveling Blocks vs jack pads
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Leveling Blocks vs jack pads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why 2x10? I use 2x8 for tires and 4x6 for jacks. Not much benefit from huge oversized pieces, plus they weigh more and take up more space.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess I'm the odd one, been using stacks of Lego blocks for years without an issue. If this is your 1st one with levelers (hint[emoticon] the less leg extended the more stable inside.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use PT'd wood. I cut some 2X12's for the jacks and some 2X12's for the tires. I've only had to use them once for muddy ground. May not need them but once a year, but they are good to have. The plastic ones will break under weight on soft ground.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started camping with truck campers in the late '60s and '70s. Back then COE camp grounds on our many COE lakes were a dirt road winding between the trees with picnic tables scattered around. Nothing was level or even flat.
To get level we may have to dig down one side, or end down, and block up the other end or side maybe a foot. No gravel or concrete or asphalt campsites or pads.
So I still carry a big assortment of blocks/ramps/pads for any event.
My ramps and blocks were made from cedar garage door header drop offs 3.5" X 30" with one end angled off for a ramp. Several 2"X 8" by various lengths along with a assortment of blocks made from 4" X 6" barn posts. Sometimes its necessary to use a bigger block under the end of my ramp to get level.

My cedar ramps/blocks in the camper and in the trailer sheds I made in '72/'73 era. I had a neighbor who framed houses and also camped kept us supplied with job site waste.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need something solid. The block in you link are like a great big cookie cutter and will sink into soft ground.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timberridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Guess I'm the odd one, been using stacks of Lego blocks for years without an issue. If this is your 1st one with levelers (hint[emoticon] the less leg extended the more stable inside.
Nah, I use the plastic blocks too. Not the orange ones though, the yellow Camco blocks, and they will work for the stabilizers if you use at least three of them. Use just one and they will crack/break.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nice job but to make a constructive comment the 3/4" holes in the plywood should have been in the 2x10 and then the holes would not be visible!

Problem with that is if the braided twine were to need replacement you couldn't do it with the plywood being glued down. And to drill through the plywood in the same exact spot(s) would be impossible. Besides then you'd have what I have now.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garmp wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nice job but to make a constructive comment the 3/4" holes in the plywood should have been in the 2x10 and then the holes would not be visible!

Problem with that is if the braided twine were to need replacement you couldn't do it with the plywood being glued down. And to drill through the plywood in the same exact spot(s) would be impossible. Besides then you'd have what I have now.

If you ever needed to replace NYLON lines it would be a cold day in HE!!.

Still nice job!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your advice. If I have to do it again I will keep that in mind. But knowing me & my luck I generally try to prepare for the worse case scenario. Warm weather or not.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our coach parked in Kingman, Az, right now. Put down sections of 2x12 under jacks.
Well. it looks dry and is dry on the surface. 2 ft down is hard pan and water flowing over it. The 2x12's cracked and the whole shebang sunk a foot. Moved and put long 6' sections of 6x6 across the back under both jacks and across and under the rear jacks and long 6x6s sank.
A while back one of many postings on jack pads noted that those leveling blocks will bend and crack and break and sink on even much harder surfaces.
There is two or three mfgs who make pads for those big cranes etc that also make smaller ones, thick heavy rubber and tough urethane and other material pads.
Not cheap and not light. I've about decided on about two layers of glued and screwed treated 1" plywood about two feet or more across and as long that will between the tires...might not sink or break even on soupy ground. Don't know how I would lift it or manuever it....maybe lots of workouts after they fix my back, or maybe adopt a 14 year old body builder..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Leveling Blocks vs jack pads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.