Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: tapping the top of awning to project it from the sun
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> tapping the top of awning to project it from the sun

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some use vinyl rain gutter, cut to length, slots in end caps.

-- Chris Bryant

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joshuajim wrote:

My trailer has been parked under the brutal sun of the desert for 7 years. Shortly after I got it, I got some 6” wide Eternabond and put a layer on top of the awnings when rolled up. It’s flexible so it rolls up without a problem and is still flawless after 7 years. No worries about having to install and remove temporary covers.

Had a small tear on the edge about 2" from the main box...lapped a piece of eternabond over it to stop it tearing more until we could replace the awning material. We sold it after about 5yr never having gotten around to replacing it. Just saw the old rig (we sold it 3yr ago)...it's still there and no sign of failure.

I would look at the eternabond as a good option.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

The Gorilla tape appears to be the answer. Wish it came in white or silver.
I used the white Gorilla tape on mine. It worked well until I got into Wyoming and a cross wind ripped right through it and I lost the awning.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone looked into that FlexTape product advertised on TV? They claim it performs miracles. I wonder if it is as good as some of the other ideas shared.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know someone that tried flex tape and it didn't hold up to UV, short term fix was ok. The Eternabond tape being rv specific is a much better more durable choice.

youracman

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joshuajim wrote:

My trailer has been parked under the brutal sun of the desert for 7 years. Shortly after I got it, I got some 6” wide Eternabond and put a layer on top of the awnings when rolled up. It’s flexible so it rolls up without a problem and is still flawless after 7 years. No worries about having to install and remove temporary covers.

Amazing! I use EB tape on the roof for flat seams; love the stuff. Your use on the awning is an interesting application (I think you are a trailblazer where EB is concerned.) SOoooo .... it works when parked for 7 years; have you had it out on the road at highway speeds much? Wondering about headwinds or maybe worse, blustery side winds if I were to apply it to the awning (and the slide out cover) on my rig.

On second thought, I remember lots of BIG TIME spring winds (like 80 MPH) when I lived in the Mohave desert (most deserts are like that I believe) ..... so maybe "no sweat"?

I guess I would plan on a "dust/dirt" line at the sticky edge of the EB tape, but I could live with that.

Thanks for your post. Velly intellesting reading, for sure.

Be safe ...................

Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> tapping the top of awning to project it from the sun
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.