Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Andersen hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Andersen hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

That is what is called a progressive spring rate. The bars have a more linear spring rate, and a linear spring rate is better in this situation.

I also tend to end up at rough places, dirt roads that get worse near the camping spot, so I have to take the bars off before I get there. The bars are easy as I just use a lever to unload the spring, but the Anderson requires jacking up the tongue?

Exactly! Thanks, linear is the word I was trying to think of and for some reason I couldn't think of it (oh no). That is a good point regarding unloading the spring. I guess you could unload the hitch by turning the nut, but it is a LOT easier if you jack it up with the tongue jack first.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

LITEPHIL

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you understand the basic function of a weight distribution system then you understand the function is to take weight off the rear axle and distribute it onto the front axle of the tow vehicle. The only way to do this is with pretty serious leverage. When you see those large forged spring bars flexing and putting weight onto the front axle you see what kind of force it takes. Those 2 little springs may help with sway control since its trying to keep things straight but will be very ineffective in actually transferring weight to the front of the truck. Pretty hokie set up if you are going to call it a weight distribution set up. That 4 or 5 inches of leverage won't do a thing on a heavier trailer and doubt it would do much on a light trailer. Save your money and get a Reese,a Curt or a 4way system.

2019 Chevy RST Silverado 1500
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2002 Sandpiper T22
04 FXDL Harley

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have heard from some actual Andersen hitch owners and those that think it is a joke. Just like every time in the last five years that the subject comes up except there are more satisfied users every year. Used to be just a couple of people who actually tried one.

pfidahospud

Post Falls

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LITEPHIL wrote:

If you understand the basic function of a weight distribution system then you understand the function is to take weight off the rear axle and distribute it onto the front axle of the tow vehicle. The only way to do this is with pretty serious leverage. When you see those large forged spring bars flexing and putting weight onto the front axle you see what kind of force it takes. Those 2 little springs may help with sway control since its trying to keep things straight but will be very ineffective in actually transferring weight to the front of the truck. Pretty hokie set up if you are going to call it a weight distribution set up. That 4 or 5 inches of leverage won't do a thing on a heavier trailer and doubt it would do much on a light trailer. Save your money and get a Reese,a Curt or a 4way system.

Seems pretty obvious you don’t have an Andersen or understand how it works (which, by the way, DOES work). The sway control comes from the friction cone. The urethane springs compress more as the chains are tightened, which does transfer weight to the front axle. Just because the Andersen is innovative and looks different doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. Best parts: light and grease free.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/20 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LITEPHIL wrote:

If you read the first post, you will see that it is in fact a weight distribution hitch.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

LITEPHIL

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am very familiar with the operation of the hitch. I guess if it transfers even a 2lbs onto the front axle it can call its self a WD hitch.
Please explain how the weight,I mean real weight like 500 lbs is transferred onto the front of the vehicle.I researched this hitch along with others before I bought most most recent. Again. please tell me how the weight is transferred with no leverage.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LITEPHIL wrote:

Please explain how the weight,I mean real weight like 500 lbs is transferred onto the front of the vehicle.

What does GM "Require" for front axle weight restoration on a 2500HD? Zero, on my 2012 and 2013 models. Is the current version of the Andersen hitch the best hitch on the market for "all" applications? No. If you need to unload a thousand pounds off your rear axle, get a new tow vehicle. If you enjoy a lightweight, clean, quiet towing experience, then you might be one of the lucky people who can take advantage of an Andersen hitch.

pfidahospud

Post Falls

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LITEPHIL wrote:

I am very familiar with the operation of the hitch. I guess if it transfers even a 2lbs onto the front axle it can call its self a WD hitch.
Please explain how the weight,I mean real weight like 500 lbs is transferred onto the front of the vehicle.I researched this hitch along with others before I bought most most recent. Again. please tell me how the weight is transferred with no leverage.

Kinda hard to relay the laws of physics on a forum, but as simply as I can put it - the “pull” force with the chains and bushings creates a “push” force at the front of the tow vehicle and the trailer. The hitch is the fulcrum - hinge point. A force on one side (the bottom of the hitch) creates an equal and opposite force above the hitch. That’s the leverage that you say you are familiar with, but apparently don’t understand.

If my words don’t prove it well, then have it proved to you at the scales.

LITEPHIL

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess people can get a bit harsh when they can not explain how a simple hitch set up works or doesn't work. This is not complex and I figured it would not be explained because it can not. I think there are people that are just trying to justify the money spent on an ineffective hitch when for the same money could have gotten some that would actually work. There is not enough leverage here to make it work effectively. Maybe they'll let you return it for something that can actually transfer weight like a proven Reese or 4 way system.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LITEPHIL wrote:

I guess people can get a bit harsh when they can not explain how a simple hitch set up works or doesn't work. This is not complex and I figured it would not be explained because it can not. I think there are people that are just trying to justify the money spent on an ineffective hitch when for the same money could have gotten some that would actually work. There is not enough leverage here to make it work effectively. Maybe they'll let you return it for something that can actually transfer weight like a proven Reese or 4 way system.

Saying the same thing over and over does not make it true and people can buy whatever they want. You obviously have two favorites. Good for you. Some people don't like change and improvement. Stick with 1950's technology but why knock others that don't mind trying something a little different that works great for many people?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Andersen hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.