Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Used diesel, anyway to tell if it's been chipped?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Used diesel, anyway to tell if it's been chipped?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, I've started the process of looking for a new truck to replace the Suburban. The mighty Burb only had 186k on the clock and the 8.1 still runs strong, but we sold the TT a few weeks ago and am now working on restoring a Lance 811 Truck Camper. I know I'll be hauling and not towing, but the truck guys seem to hang here mostly. [emoticon]rgreen:

Anyway, with the camper at 3k lbs wet, I'm looking 1-ton 3500 SRW long bed crew cabs. Seems like the long bed is hard to find, and a lot of them have diesels. My $40k budget seems to put me in 2015-2017 territory.

I really don't want/need a diesel to haul around a TC, but I'm not opposed to the idea either if the truck is nice and the price is right. The diesels I've seen are higher mileage and past factory warranty (even though sold by a dealer) and I'm leery of getting one that's been chipped and abused. Is there a way to tell?

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch out for a punisher sticker.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jacked up, tires that stick out 8 inches past the fender wells, straight pipe that ends in a 12 inch diameter chrome muffler extension, brass goulies hanging from the hitch, 3 rows of LED lights. Inside looks for the extra gauges for exhaust temp, turbo boost, trans oil temp, etc.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long story short; No.

In general, modders like to mod other things like lift kits and big tires and rims ect. I would stay away from a truck that has those things.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe that most of the time the vehicle ( especially the newer models) can be put on a diagnostic machine, and determine “if” it is or has been “chipped”! “Chipped” or not, a thorough test, via a diagnostic test may be a good “ feel good” thing to do! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

edatlanta

Jennings Ferry Campground-Camp Host, Akron, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

I believe that most of the time the vehicle ( especially the newer models) can be put on a diagnostic machine, and determine “if” it is or has been “chipped”! “Chipped” or not, a thorough test, via a diagnostic test may be a good “ feel good” thing to do! memtb

Unless the ecm has been replaced with the one that chipped. The the original put back on for sale.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

...working on restoring a Lance 811 Truck Camper....at 3k lbs wet, I'm looking 1-ton 3500 SRW long bed crew cabs. Seems like the long bed is hard to find, and a lot of them have diesels. My $40k budget seems to put me in 2015-2017 territory.

I really don't want/need a diesel to haul around a TC, but I'm not opposed to the idea either if the truck is nice and the price is right. The diesels I've seen are higher mileage and past factory warranty (even though sold by a dealer) and I'm leery of getting one that's been chipped and abused. Is there a way to tell?

If you're looking at dealer vehicles then ask them to plug into the truck and show you a report. If the ECM has been flashed by a tuner the software version won't line up with the OEM revision and you'll know instantly. If that vehicle is out of warranty it wouldn't really matter, but at least you'd know.

I would imagine any dealer sold vehicle should have all the OEM emissions equipment in tact. On my Ram the DPF/SCR/DEF system has worked just fine, but I know some other users of all brands have had some issues.

Also, do a recall search on any vehicle you're researching: NHTSA VIN Search You'll be able to see what recalls have been on the vehicle and if they've been completed. My truck had 16 different recalls, but to me it's not a big deal. I took it to the dealer, they did the repair for free, and I drove off happy.

KJ

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS--Sold ">
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (20, 14, & 12)
1 forgiving wife!!!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electronic diagnostics will tell you.
chips advance the timing, change shift points, etc.
A good machine will be able to tell.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont know how strict you are on the $40k but most brands are now offering a lot of incentives as well as 0% financing, a quick check up your way found this Chevy. S-3500
May be worth exploring the numbers with the cheap finance offers.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys, good info

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Used diesel, anyway to tell if it's been chipped?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.