Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Building own travel trailer legality?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Building own travel trailer legality?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Uglyduckling88

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always liked traveling, and by that I mean by road because of the immense freedom to go almost absolutely anywhere on a dime and do so in an rv. One thing I have never had though is the time and money. Well I now have the time but still not the money for such an endeavor. Would like to buy a travel trailer for the adventure, but cannot afford to pay over 10 grand. My thought though was to maybe build one, possibly from a flat trailer frame, but along with that I know would come licences and legalities from dmv rules. How would I go about legally making this work.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you asked the Missouri DMV?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What part do you think is not legal? Over loading the trailer, wrong lights, too wide, too long?

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sold our 2009 travel trailer in 2018 for 7,800 dollars.
It was a 25 footer and with the modifications I put into it I think it was better than when we bought it.

Why not look around for a used one ?
Don't go through a dealer though. Look for ones for sale by private parties, and then do a thorough inspection

Guy

Uglyduckling88

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

What part do you think is not legal? Over loading the trailer, wrong lights, too wide, too long?

Modifying

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thoughts.... You will spend more building one than you would buying one. Figure out what you can spend and start looking at your local craigslist/facebook online marketplace.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a used one in need of repair, you should be able to save more than starting from scratch. Don’t worry about modifications unless you go crazy.

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try looking for "buikding a stealth" trailer. They usually start with a enclosed box trailer.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree, start with a cargo trailer, unless you're a very good carpenter or fabricator.
The most budget minded build, IMO will either be a cargo trailer very sparsely appointed, or glean all the "RV" components out of a working TT with a bad structure (smashed by tree or bad leaks, etc).
Or buy a functional TT and fix it up a bit. I don't see the need to spend more than half of your theoretical $10k max on a decent older TT. There are TONS of older decent shape TTs for $5k or less, all set up. Tanks, wiring, charging, plumbing, appliances, furniture, storage compartments, etc.
One of my field engineers bought an older 26' or so TT, fully functional last year for $4k. He put tires, battery and new flooring (fixing a soft spot in the process) in it and a couple other more minor repairs. Lived in it for like 6 months on a remote jobsite. Water, fridge, stove, microwave, full bath and AC.

Building a "tiny house" from scratch, again IMO, will either be a mess or costly and require alot of time. Great project if you want to find a way to kill 100s or 1000s of hours. Or fix up a TT and go camping!

I wouldn't use "legality" as a reason not to do it, as that is not a concern, you can title and license about anything. But feasibility is the biggest hurdle.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For $10k or less, you can buy one that virtually needs nothing except a truck hooked to it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Building own travel trailer legality?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.