Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: truck swerved with hard braking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck swerved with hard braking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

jimh425 wrote:

I’d also suggest not following as close if you couldn’t see the left lane.

Best advice yet!

X3

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to those who are playing backseat driver with the OP's story....find something better to do please.

OP, I suppose there could be a problem with a caliper sticking on the front (rear would have little effect in this instance imo)

You can check it yourself. Go find an empty stretch of road and hit the brakes a couple times and see what it does. Also, prior to that, a short drive with only light brake applications, check brake temperatures on each wheel. If significantly different you've found an issue. BTW, if it pulls right, it's the left caliper that is sticking.

More likely there is no brake issue and it was just a combination of factors during the panic braking situation.
May have pulled the wheel a bit during a split second of indecision as to which lane was going to be the best choice. Pavement rutting combined with alot of weight transfer to the skinny front tires when you hit the binders hard caused a pull. Etc

If there are no other symptoms, it was likely just an Oh Sh_t moment.
Easy to pop the front wheels off and inspect though. Again, rears shouldn't have much effect on pulling the vehicle one direction or the other.

(Have driven alot of rusty old cars in Chicagoland back in the day. Diagnosing brake problems on rust buckets was a semi frequent occurrence! lol)

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X4.... Slow down and enjoy the scenery; get there safely...

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were you going straight or going around a bend?

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the OP. Thank you for the input.

Something I thought of since I made the original post is that the truck had an alignment problem at the time of this braking incident. The front tires were wearing (very) unevenly. The outer tread on both tires was worn much deeper than the inside. I ended up getting a full set of tires and an alignment.

The truck had always been hard to keep in the lane since when it was new. After many adjustments I finally found out it was this alignment problem. Since the new tires and the alignment the drift problem is gone.

I'm wondering if the alignment problem might have caused the braking problem when I drifted lanes with a very hard brake.

No need to jump on me. I WILL get the brakes checked.

Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So truck "was" wandering (too little caster likely) and eating the outside edges ( too much toe in likely, but helps offset the wandering of not enough caster).
Truck has since had an alignment and tires, still nothing to do with brakes "pulling" per se. Since incident, which presumably was not just "yesterday", based on your subsequent post, brakes have worked fine?
Trying to understand.
But if what I said above is correct, you do not have a brake problem.
Brake problems don't correct themselves.

Also, since you didn't answer my original question...relating to the brakes, will presume the brakes have been fine ever since.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually it is a sign that something is wrong - but I would do another test before pulling the brakes to check. Reason is if you were leaning any to the right because you were moving into the left lane and then hit the brakes as you pulled to the right, you created a double effect. First you went from leaning to the right to leaning to the left because pulling back behind the semi. Then you slammed on the brakes which further pulled the truck from under the camper which would have cause even more lean to the left. Any time your vehicle leans to the left, the truck is naturally going to tend to go right. You did this in extreme which means you had extreme movement.

I think your natural reaction caused the problems and not your brakes. If you had continued into the left lane going straight, slammed on the brakes, slowed down sufficiently, then eased the brakes before changing direction, I don't think you would have noticed a problem.

The only way to know for sure is while going straight on an empty road with room to your right, try easing into the brakes again until you are hard on them to see if it pulls again.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes tell your story to the brake shop. If they are worth any salt, the front calipers, pads, rotors will be inspected very closely and the problem corrected.

Not sure if an anti-lock braking system problem could be in play here also.

If there is a safe place to do a hard stop brake test it might help to know if this is a repeatable issue.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bad experience but I want to wait to have my brakes inspected? That’s dangerous for you, your family and other motorists.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say you likely need new oem pads on front along with your front rotors turned or replaced.

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck swerved with hard braking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.