Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: truck swerved with hard braking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck swerved with hard braking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have the brakes ever been serviced? If not you are way overdue at that year and mileage. I have similar mileage on my ‘17 and they have been serviced twice. The manual recommends brake service every 20k miles, more under heavy duty use.

* This post was edited 05/14/20 03:29pm by camp-n-family *

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cross camber or cross caster will cause a pull and can be exacerbated as the suspension goes through it's range of travel, I bet the nose took a big dive with the weight of the camper coming down on it.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

JTLance

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would bleed them with all new fluid.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbolotune wrote:

I am the OP. Thank you for the input.

Something I thought of since I made the original post is that the truck had an alignment problem at the time of this braking incident. The front tires were wearing (very) unevenly. The outer tread on both tires was worn much deeper than the inside. I ended up getting a full set of tires and an alignment.

The truck had always been hard to keep in the lane since when it was new. After many adjustments I finally found out it was this alignment problem. Since the new tires and the alignment the drift problem is gone.

I'm wondering if the alignment problem might have caused the braking problem when I drifted lanes with a very hard brake.

No need to jump on me. I WILL get the brakes checked.

Bad alignment should not pull the truck to the side in heavy braking.
My advise to get the brakes inspected ASAP got deleted, so somebody has different opinions.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your brakes pulled you to the right. The right brake has more friction than the left. Plenty of causes. A good mechanic will fix it for you.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

bobbolotune wrote:

I am the OP. Thank you for the input.

Something I thought of since I made the original post is that the truck had an alignment problem at the time of this braking incident. The front tires were wearing (very) unevenly. The outer tread on both tires was worn much deeper than the inside. I ended up getting a full set of tires and an alignment.

The truck had always been hard to keep in the lane since when it was new. After many adjustments I finally found out it was this alignment problem. Since the new tires and the alignment the drift problem is gone.

I'm wondering if the alignment problem might have caused the braking problem when I drifted lanes with a very hard brake.

No need to jump on me. I WILL get the brakes checked.

Bad alignment should not pull the truck to the side in heavy braking.
My advise to get the brakes inspected ASAP got deleted, so somebody has different opinions.

You've clearly never had a bad alignment.

bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 03:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the OP. Thank you for all the comments. The truck is going in for service today and I am asking for the brakes to be checked. When I first posted I thought the answer might be that extreme braking with the truck camper loaded it is expected that you can drift.

There were comments asking about what happened. It was on the interstate. I was in the right lane and I am sure driving 65 mph or less because that is fastest I drive with the camper loaded (unless I am in heavy traffic and causing a traffic jam with people trying to get around me I might speed up because it becomes a trade off of which is more dangerous speeding up or every car in a traffic jam passing you, as well as it being rude to block traffic).

I was approaching an 18 wheeler that turned out to be moving very slowly climbing the hill. It was the choice of brake down from 65 to 25 mph or pass. There was traffic approaching me in the left lane so I actually accelerated a little to change lanes ahead of traffic and BANG there was another slow moving truck in the left lane which had been hidden by the 18 wheeler in the right lane. So I had to slam on the brakes. I was probably still changing lanes moving to the left when I saw the second truck.

The lesson learned is to not assume that the left lane is clear when passing an 18 wheeler because there is a blind area. I suppose you have to assume there could be a vehicle moving as slow as the truck in the right lane so you need to keep speed and stopping distance the same as if you were to remain in the right lane.

It was an unusual situation because usually when you change lanes to pass a truck any vehicle in the blind area will also be passing at speed, not also moving 25 mph.

I have not had any other braking problems other than this incident. I don't think there is any pulling to the side when braking other than in this extreme incident. We will see what the mechanic says with the brake check. It could be that it was the bad alignment I had at the time which caused the drift when extreme braking. The RAM 3500 truck has been great no mechanical problems except for it turns out that it seemed it came out of the factory with bad alignment. From the start it took constant adjustment to keep in the lane. It took me 4 years when my tires wore unevenly to discover this. This is my first big truck. I asked many people in campgrounds about the lane drift and the answer was that is how a truck drives. One guy in a campground had the same truck and had the same problem. He said he read in truck forums that 3500 4x4 is known for this lane drift and there is no alignment adjustment on the 4x4. Turned out incorrect there is an alignment adjustment. If others in truck forums were having the problem it could be trucks were being shipped with bad alignment. With the new tires (good quality Michelin tires versus the original factory tires) and alignment the drift problem disappeared.

Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/20 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

jimh425 wrote:

I’d also suggest not following as close if you couldn’t see the left lane.

Best advice yet!

Great advice for sure.

Driving a loaded truck camper safely and all other driving is about good defensive driving techniques. jim425 as quoted by deltabravo are stating one of the primary 'best practices' of good defensive driving.

Defensive driving starts with driving a well maintained 'safe' vehicle. Get your brakes inspected and repaired ASAP.

Save travels.

Lakeside

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/20 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbolotune stated. "There were comments asking about what happened. It was on the interstate. I was in the right lane and I am sure driving 65 mph or less because that is fastest I drive with the camper loaded (unless I am in heavy traffic and causing a traffic jam with people trying to get around me I might speed up because it becomes a trade off of which is more dangerous speeding up or every car in a traffic jam passing you, as well as it being rude to block traffic)."

Understood, but with respect, you are allowing the traffic to dictate how you drive and 'push' you into an unsafe situation. You are trying to make an excuse for why you were in the position of needing to do the hard braking that you did.

Again, no disrespect intended toward you. I am only commenting from years of LEO work. Every 'incident' that happens and causes vehicle crashes can be analyzed "after the fact" of the incident, by the micro seconds of what every person was doing just prior, during, and immediately after the incident.

In most incidents, had more following distance been a factor, the extra time allowed for a reaction could mean a crash with less damage or prevention of the crash altogether.

You are in control of the 'three foot space' around you whether you are driving or speaking about life in general. You have control of YOUR space and only YOUR space. Allowing others beyond that three foot space to dictate how you conduct yourself is an effort of fruitlessness. Distance is your friend!!!

Enough said, and again, I mean no disrespect.

Lakeside

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

Have the brakes ever been serviced? If not you are way overdue at that year and mileage. I have similar mileage on my ‘17 and they have been serviced twice. The manual recommends brake service every 20k miles, more under heavy duty use.

And what exactly gets "serviced"? The only service you're getting is getting fleeced by the repair shop.
Either brake pads and/or rotors are good or they're due for replacement or turning rotors.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck swerved with hard braking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.