Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: truck swerved with hard braking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck swerved with hard braking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, so many folks who don’t know jack about brakes or mechanics responding with their uneducated opinions it’s hard to wade through for a person who is asking the question.....
Personally, I refrain from handing out advice on things that I’m not well read on. Some of y’all should consider the same!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds to me like it was a trailbraking scenario and you didn't realize it in the heat of the moment. Get the truck checked, but don't chase your tail too much over this.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much do you drive the truck unloaded vs. loaded?
If mostly unloaded and you load the camper and slam on the brakes, the piston in the caliper is travelling to a spot it likely has never been before. It doesn't take much for the piston o-ring to grab or lock onto a bit of trash.
How does the truck handle braking now? Does it feel like it is pulling to the side?
Did you have a recall on the front suspension, to align it then weld it in place?

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

Understood, but with respect, you are allowing the traffic to dictate how you drive and 'push' you into an unsafe situation. You are trying to make an excuse for why you were in the position of needing to do the hard braking that you did.
Lakeside

Please read what I said in my post again. I said that I was driving 65 mph or less when the braking incident happened. Then as an aside I mentioned that I know this because I always drive 65 mph or less unless in heavy traffic.

As far as going faster because of heavy traffic. At times it can be a trade off of increasing speed or having a line of cars in back of you all trying to swerve into the left lane around you. There is danger either way, going faster versus unsafe drivers around you.

I don't know, I assume that speeding up to 70 or 75 in the right lane on a highway to keep up with traffic isn't unsafe. Is it? I have a dually truck with a lightweight camper and the truck handles fine up at 70 or 75. I more stick to 65 because of gas mileage. I find that the jump from 55 mph to 60 to 65 definitely hurts gas mileage. Going over 65 and gas mileage really tanks. If I am on an empty interstate I have chosen 62 mph as a sweet spot, or if I am in no hurry I may just go 55 mph and save some gas.

Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

How much do you drive the truck unloaded vs. loaded?
If mostly unloaded and you load the camper and slam on the brakes, the piston in the caliper is travelling to a spot it likely has never been before. It doesn't take much for the piston o-ring to grab or lock onto a bit of trash.
How does the truck handle braking now? Does it feel like it is pulling to the side?
Did you have a recall on the front suspension, to align it then weld it in place?

The miles on the truck are 96% loaded (and almost all highway) and 4% unloaded, so this might be a good theory. The braking handling other then this one incident is fine (good, never a problem). No pulling to the side. There has been no front suspension recall.

bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

Have the brakes ever been serviced? If not you are way overdue at that year and mileage. I have similar mileage on my ‘17 and they have been serviced twice. The manual recommends brake service every 20k miles, more under heavy duty use.

Was this 20k miles of highway, city, or mixed? I have 42k miles almost all highway. I am surprised you need brake service every 20k miles. The RAM manual says to check the brake pads every 20k but I have been googling brake work and that 20K is a check but pads usually last longer than 20k.

Also from my recent google reading "brake service" can mean many things. New pads, or add rotor, or add caliber. Possibly bleeding and replacing fluid. What service have you needed?

bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the truck is back from the dealer and I can report results. I was told the mechanic inspected the brakes and there is plenty of life on the pads (10mm) and the brakes are functioning properly. So they did no service.

I had said might as well rotate tires but only if you need to remove the tires to check the brakes, otherwise the tires are not due for rotation. I was told they did not need to remove the tires. That they were able to inspect the brakes without removing the tires. This surprises me. I thought tires needed to be removed to inspect brakes.

So the braking incident remains a mystery. Several theories were presented in the responses here that it could have been an anomaly. I will do as some suggested to find some open road and try some hard braking to see if I can reproduce the problem.

* This post was edited 05/16/20 02:48am by bobbolotune *

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that you might need a different shop. For brakes/tires, you might consider a major tire outlet that has a great reputation if you can’t find a good mechanic otherwise.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

Have the brakes ever been serviced? If not you are way overdue at that year and mileage. I have similar mileage on my ‘17 and they have been serviced twice. The manual recommends brake service every 20k miles, more under heavy duty use.

What do they do every 20,000 miles when they service your brakes??

My 2011 has 212,000 miles on it and its still running the factory brakes.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double post

* This post was edited 05/15/20 10:03pm by camp-n-family *

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck swerved with hard braking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.