Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Frost free hydrant for potable water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Frost free hydrant for potable water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan to run water to a location by our driveway. Same area has power and sewer. I was looking at frost free hydrants but wonder if there is a particular brand that is safe for drinking water. It would be nice to have a one stop location to prep the RV before or after trips.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some are and some are not! Look for a sticker indicating.Hydrants like these are:
Woodford

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be sure that it will always drain and never in a place where ground water can be higher than drain outlet.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clay soil here. I will have to dig a bigger hole and fill it with sand. No issue with ground water where I am placing it. I will send an email or call Woodford Monday. Thanks

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the potable water version has no drain.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it has no drain, can it be "frost free"?

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Blacklane

New Carlisle, Ohio USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you’re going to install a hydrant, I highly recommend a Murdock hydrant. Those are commercial-grade, reliable, and repairable. They’re also expensive.

If that doesn’t fit into your budget, then the Woodford is a distant second place, but way better than whatever you will find in the big box stores.

Since I put them in in 2002, both of my original hydrants have failed. The first failed to seal, even with a re-build kit. Of course, you have to get that repaired before winter, so I just installed another one from a home center. Now I regret that. On the second hydrant, the rod broke off at the bottom where it meets the stopper. There was no way to get the stopper out to replace it. I replaced that with a Woodford, which seems much better.

Replacing a hydrant is not fun. You think, “Oh, It’s only 3 feet deep. I can handle that.” But then you discover that the hole has to be big enough to get into so you can hold the bottom joint, or roughly the size of a grave Then that may be below the water table, so you’re into sticky, heavy clay mud. Plus, you try to leave a step to stand and kneel on, so you have to work below your knees, in a hole, in the mud.

Most hydrants offer an “EPA” or "Sanitary" version. This keeps ground water out of the hydrant drain, since in a regular frost-free hydrant, the drain is open to the ground water. This is what you want for potable water.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The drain can suck in unwanted material from the soil. Drain operates when the hydrant is off. Woodfords have a heater in lower section.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good info here. I suppose I could put a ground box in and a sealed hydrant with the option to put heat tape on it should it get too cold. I will probably put a cheap frost free one in for washing cars and the RV.

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheap ones won't last. Had 3 Made in China and they all started having issues within a couple years. One rebuilt and it too started having issues. We have one left working and need to replace another, will go Made in the USA as supposedly they last.

Ridgeway, SC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Frost free hydrant for potable water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.