Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 1997 Class C Winnebago, 47,000 miles too old to buy?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 1997 Class C Winnebago, 47,000 miles too old to buy?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron,

My 2005 has disk brakes. I've replaced the rear brakes 3 times since 2009. I've driven it about 120 miles and I try to avoid using the brakes when ever possible.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

My concern would be that 5 to 7 years down the road you may have trouble getting anything for it so it all depends on the cost, assuming other issues are no problem.
bumpy

Anything meaning what, house or chassis? Chassis parts are readily available, maybe the shiny do-hickey

moulding may be unavailable but then there is always Walt's in Riverside.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

My concern would be that 5 to 7 years down the road you may have trouble getting anything for it so it all depends on the cost, assuming other issues are no problem.
bumpy

Anything meaning what, house or chassis? Chassis parts are readily available, maybe the shiny do-hickey

anything as in $$$ selling it or unloading it. I believe that the OPs response indicated he understood me.
bumpy

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing against buying an older Class C at a good price, but the OP's idea here is not a good one IMO.

With ours it took a few short trips over the first six months to get it in shape. Right after buying it went in for a mechanical inspection where it got a few things done. Even so, it had to be towed twice; one time to get a new starter, second time it was burst hoses under the doghouse-no water would stay in radiator long enough to drive it.

After the first six months it has been great except needed new tires--of course it was an inner back tire that went flat.

So the one "dream trip" is likely to be when all the fun happens. [emoticon]
You will wear out your Good Sam Emergency card.--and don't leave home without one of those!

The RV house stuff will have problems that mostly you can fix yourself, except you might have to order parts from Amazon. How to do that on the one dream trip?

So IMO don't do that. Suggest you are a good candidate for renting a Class C same as those European tourists do. If you meant to buy it and stay local doing short trips here and there, then yes.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Xavpil

Los angeles

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thx

Xavpil

Los angeles

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Suggest you are a good candidate for renting a Class C.

Renting prices are out of this world, $300/day, and limited to 100 miles/day, unless I am not looking at the right vendors

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have it inspected, replace all belts and hoses then go have fun. I have been driving old vehicles on long road trips for years. See my sig.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Xavpil wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

Suggest you are a good candidate for renting a Class C.

Renting prices are out of this world, $300/day, and limited to 100 miles/day, unless I am not looking at the right vendors

Yipes. Anyway situation remains. After you have had it for a while and things stop breaking, you can trust it better for long trips.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Xavpil wrote:

I don’t plan on keeping it that long actually
I am too young to retire and enjoy the open roads weeks at a time. I just want to go on my dream road trip cross country while I have the luxury of being able to work remotely

I think you will be better off renting a unit for a one time vacation that you can do in a month or two . That way there is no prep and you walk away from it. That freedom might be money well spent.

Consider how long it might take you to get an rv repair appointment to repair a older rig while on the road. With rv sales going thru the roof now, the shops will be overloaded.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

klutchdust wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

anything as in $$$ selling it or unloading it. I believe that the OPs response indicated he understood me.
bumpy

My apologies sir, i misunderstood what was written.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 1997 Class C Winnebago, 47,000 miles too old to buy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.