Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Leveling Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leveling Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Land Yachters

Philadelphia

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't find answer to this pretty basic question, but thought I would reach out.
New to RV with 2018 Tiffin 33aa. Only bought it in fall to winterize it and put in storage. I am preparing to get on the road and have MANY questions, but will limit this post to only one.
I have leveled it to move 4 slides out. All good, But when I level it, one rear wheel is pretty close to being off surface. Can't see light under it, but not much weight or any is on it. I have not left it in that position for more than a few hours, but want to leave it that way for a few days while I work on it. The coach is level, but I am concerned about damage. I have been told and read multiple times not to raise tire off surface with leveling.
Appreciate the input.

Land Yachters
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33aa

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does Tiffin say about leveling in your owner’s booklet? Had all Fall to work this out.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That happens, if it is a worry, drive up on a board or two. You should have a selection of boards anyway because you never know what the conditions are when you travel.

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lower both rear wheels a little bit, both at the same time, and you should be fine. You will be a little off front to back but as long as you leave your reefer off there shouldn't be a problem. If you have a residential reefer you don't even have to worry about that.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350 (Mothership)
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad (Libby)
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

accsys wrote:

Lower both rear wheels a little bit, both at the same time, and you should be fine. You will be a little off front to back but as long as you leave your reefer off there shouldn't be a problem. If you have a residential reefer you don't even have to worry about that.

No need to leave the refrigerator off under these conditions. Absorption refrigerator specs call for it to be within 3 degrees side to side. On a 30' RV you would have to be off level by more than 18" front to back to be more than 3 degrees. A couple inches will make no difference at all.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't be a big deal for a few days. If it was going to be like that for a week or more I would probably put a couple boards under the tires.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 03:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you use the "auto level" or manual level? I have found that at times the auto level will raise the coach more than is needed. I have gone back to doing the manual level more often than not for that reason. If you did use auto level you might want to read the manual on how to recalibrate the system.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’re not planning on working under it on levelers are you? Not a good idea if you are.

If it’s just the one then you should be fine but not a good long term situation. Many people will let the front wheels be off the ground but not the rears.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok on a motor home. if it has "drive shaft parking brake" then having one rear wheel off the ground is not a good thing... One Front is OK
Do not have both --either end--off the ground,.

if it has wheel applied parking brakes. You are good.

Suggestion. Carry a few plank. one (or two if it's duals) 3 or 4 feet long
two more about half that length and again two more 1' They should be at least the width of the tires

Mine are 2x12's 3' 2' and 1' long (Tires are 8" so I also have some 2x8 assemblies 3' on top of that is glued a 2' and on top fo that a 1)

PUll onto the plank to "pre-level" that corner then use the jacks. YOu will stil have good "engagement"

if you are already parked. Consider a 12 ton (or 20) Air/hydrauilc jack from harbor freight and oh say 6 gaLLON 150 PSI TANK TYPE COMPRESOR.. pICK THE WHEEL UP AND SHOVE THE PLANKS UNDER. DROP DOWN. gOOD.

hAd one 5er owner having the devil's own time positing on his leeling boards. Finally told him "Get it level and then we will position the boards. I can only pick up 12 ton (You can imagine the look I got) Loaded the compressor and hack in the wagon and pulled it over.. and .. I can only pick up 12 tons.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leveling Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.