Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Airbags?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Airbags?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Firestones for me. Manual fill separate lines. I ran mine to the storage space under the back seat. I lift the seat and platform, take the caps off and fill or remove air twice a year. 22 lbs for summer and hauling the 5th wheel. 5 lbs for winter.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

last set of firestones I installed came with a "T" for plumbing both bags into one air up fitting which i installed adjacent to the rear license plate.

I see no need to have them filled separately and don't subscribe to that urban legend of the air transferring from one side to the other when cornering.

Two decades, two F250's, nary a problem.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

last set of firestones I installed came with a "T" for plumbing both bags into one air up fitting which i installed adjacent to the rear license plate.

I see no need to have them filled separately and don't subscribe to that urban legend of the air transferring from one side to the other when cornering.

I believe that the air transferring is real but whether that is good or bad depends on the application. If you have a high CG load like a fifth wheel camper or slide-in and need stability you don't want the air moving. Likewise if you need to level the truck side to side, like if you parked on of those rigs on a side slope and need to level the truck.

On the other hand, if you don't need lateral stability having them separate will make your ride rougher, increase lateral pitching on bumps and can cause traction issues on uneven ground.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

Like said above, your application may not "need" bags plumbed separately, but there's nothing to subscribe to. It happens and it reduces stability if that is one's condition for adding airbags.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I always carry a bicycle pump and onboard air pumps are the weakest part of an air bag system...plus I saved some money.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Since I always carry a bicycle pump and onboard air pumps are the weakest part of an air bag system...plus I saved some money.

I can see having onboard if you offroad and you air big balloon tires up and down multiple times in a day.

Airbags simply don't hold much air and are well within the pressure capability of a bike pump.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, Val, I agree if you are altering tire pressure constantly. But my off-roading is very light duty.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Laws of physic's is not an Urban Legend...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rye_a wrote:

I’d like to add airbags to my rear suspension on my Ram 2500 diesel to level my truck when I’m towing, but don’t really feel I need to be able to control them from the cab and don’t want to go through an expensive and involved installation of a full system with a permanent compressor. Any recommendations for airbags that can be inflated with an external compressor?

Got to ask what year is your Ram 2500 and what are you towing that you need bags?
My old 2001’Ram 2500 carried 2,700# of pin from a 5er and didn’t need bags.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Firestone bags on my 2001 Cummins dually with a 3000 lb. pin weight and have the manual schraeder valves for each side. I put in about 50 psi for traveling and let it out when not towing. I carry a lightweight 5 gallon aluminum air bubble, and it works great for adding air to the bags. Fill it to 120 psi and it's good for 4-5 fills.

Never really felt the need for the cost and complexity of the onboard compressor.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Airbags?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.