Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: F53 V10 Manifold Bolts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> F53 V10 Manifold Bolts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting that T18skyguy mentioned Nickle being removed from the manifold's cast iron as a cause of warping. The machine shop guy said the exact same thing when I dropped the manifold off for surfacing. He felt I probably would not have a repeat as after being exposed to heat for long periods of time the iron becomes "seasoned" and far more stable and less prone for any further warping. He claimed he's rarely had a manifold return for a second surfacing (that he was aware of) and with engines lasting longer now he feels he would have likely seen that. Also want to add I was apparently extremely lucky that of the two broken studs, one was broken about 3/8" outside the mating surface and was easily remover by fingers! I only have one to drill out today. Seven other studs spun right out by fingers after breaking them free! Only one stud stayed in the head with the nut coming of by ratchet. probably should go pick up a few lotto tickets.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When they took the nickle out of the manifolds, that gave birth to Gale Banks engineering.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

Yankee Clipper

Cairo, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For 12 years we had a 97 Coachmen Catalina with the Ford 460, and at year 4 the stock passenger side exhaust manifold warped and spit off the rear two bolts. I found an aftermarket manifold by Dorman online for $110 for a replacement. The heads did not crack, and the broken studs came off with a simple easy-out.
I now have something else to inspect (I stopped worrying with the new generation V10). The 460 did not use exhaust gaskets, but as I read this, the V10's do?

Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS, Duke the overgrown Boxer mascot/lousy watch dog
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> F53 V10 Manifold Bolts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.