Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Confused and Frustrated
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Confused and Frustrated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Fancy Free

Home

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also was going to tow a car behind. Do you call it a "toad"?

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fancy Free wrote:

Also was going to tow a car behind. Do you call it a "toad"?

Yeah but then you have to maintain and service two vehicles not one. I am a diehard towable fan so keep that in mind...heh

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing a toad requires adequate motorhome ability. Some are rated for 3500 pounds max while others are 5000 or more.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Fancy Free

Home

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is true. I would have two vehicles then. That's costly. I need a new vehicle anyway, so might as well try to find a pickup and a 5th wheel or a spacious TT.
Thank you.

Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand what you are going through. I have been full timing for 14 years so I have a lot of experience to share with you if you want to call me.

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
[email protected]
602-321-8141
Full-timer

NoVa RT

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/20 11:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at a lot of RVs, at least online? Might also want to go to a RV show if there’s a large one in your area. Don’t need to buy at the show - those prices are generally available despite the hype - but it can be a good way to see what the options are.

2013 RT 190-Popular

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fancy Free wrote:

Hello all..I am looking to purchase a camper to full time live in. I will be a solo female, not mechanically inclined (but will have to learn).

That is "deep water" you are about to jump into !

I strongly suggest a few weekends with a rental. You will then know what it is like to drive one and live in one.

IMHO, full timing in any motorhome, regardless of size, is an issue. You can't just "run to the store" for milk and bread. Even short sight seeing side trips are a major undertaking.

Towing a small vehicle is an option, but buying a good pickup and a medium size trailer (< 25') I think is a better, more cost effective, option.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was to go solo full time I probably would get a Truck camper setup along with a motor bike on a small platform extension on back... No matter what you end up with all will be different one way or another... For you just starting I like the idea of renting things first so you can decide what might be best for your situation...

I pulled into a camp ground in south west Virginia one time and camped out next to girl that had her setup on the back of her motorcycle... She was comfy as heck haha... She was a book author and going all over the USA writing stories for her books. Forgot who she was now...

Roy Ken
[image]

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes a vehicle needs to be taken in for maintenance and repairs, anything from simple oil changes to more complex, time consuming things. With a C (or A) you have dealership service people traipsing through your 'home' and maybe keeping your 'home' for days while waiting for parts. Whereas with a truck and trailer/5th wheel, the 'home' can be parked and lived in during those times. To me this is a big consideration; YMMV.

5th wheels do tow nicely. I could see myself in a compact fiberglass 5er like the Scamp 19 or the (Escape Trailer Industries) Escape 5.0TA. Spacewise they're about equivalent to a 22' travel trailer (where the tongue is included in the length). Low profile, so a smaller truck can be used and fuel economy is better. I keep dreaming.... not ready to retire yet. I hope you find just the right rig. Remember to pick out the trailer/5er first, then find a truck with plenty of extra tow & payload capacity.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Sometimes a vehicle needs to be taken in for maintenance and repairs, anything from simple oil changes to more complex, time consuming things. With a C (or A) you have dealership service people traipsing through your 'home' and maybe keeping your 'home' for days while waiting for parts. Whereas with a truck and trailer/5th wheel, the 'home' can be parked and lived in during those times. To me this is a big consideration; YMMV.

Oh, and if pulling a toad, you have two vehicle drive trains costing you upkeep instead of one.

5th wheels do tow nicely. I could see myself in a compact fiberglass 5er like the Scamp 19 or the (Escape Trailer Industries) Escape 5.0TA. Spacewise they're about equivalent to a 22' travel trailer (where the tongue is included in the length). Low profile, so a smaller truck can be used and fuel economy is better. I keep dreaming.... not ready to retire yet. I hope you find just the right rig. Remember to pick out the trailer/5er first, then find a truck with plenty of extra tow & payload capacity.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Confused and Frustrated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.